We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklyn street scenes

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Brooklyn street scenes

Brooklyn is an extremely vital place that many tourists miss. Even those that do venture into the borough often only go as far as the area around the bridge - which is a pity.

I thought you might enjoy some street scenes I captured from 3 different neighborhoods in Brooklyn:

Prospect Heights:

Driving my daughter to a playdate one day we came across an unusual scene. Cops had blocked off her friend's street to traffic (generally a bad sign) so we parked and continued on foot. There we encountered 2 of NY's finest and some neighbors trying to capture a mama duck and her ducklings that were wandering around the street. One cop - unbelievably to me - held a string, tied to a milk carton that was propped up over a pile of bread crumbs. The duck seemed thoroughly uninterested. Mirrors were brought out (I have no idea why), the ducklings were placed in a pot - perhaps to scare mama into thinking they would be made into soup if she didn't turn herself in. After 20 mins or so, the neighbors took control of the scene and snatched the ducks with a sheet.

http://www.planetplg.com/ducks.htm

When Italy won the world cup, this is how Bensonhurst - Brooklyn's largest Italian neighborhood - reacted:

planetplg.com/images/mondiali/brooklyn.htm

Remember "Do the Right Thing"? Here's the real deal on a very, very hot Brooklyn street in Prospect Lefferts Gardens (my former home across the park from better known Park Slope).

http://www.planetplg.com/heat.htm

Dan

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Bensonhurst
Bensonhurst
16 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Park Slope
Park Slope
468 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brooklyn street scenes

RD - good stuff - thanks for sharing!!

Poppa

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brooklyn street scenes

You know it's spring when the duck herding stories appear. There was a similar article in The Times the other day.

Your photos are wonderful! I especially like the random guy in the Mexican hat in the World Cup celebration photos. Maybe he picked it up in Italy?

Texas
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brooklyn street scenes

Thanks Dan! I loved all the slide shows, but my favorite was the one of the ducks. What a gorgeous tranquil neighborhood. (Loved the brownstones in the background!) I always enjoy taking a peek into the day to day lives of others.

Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brooklyn street scenes

Yes--thank you, Dan. The more I read & research, the more I think I may need to add to our short time in Brooklyn. My itinerary has one open day--you might have just persuaded me to fill it with Brooklyn.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Brooklyn street scenes

Really nice shots. Thanks for sharing. The one of the ducks is on my street – I can’t believe I missed all that excitement!

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brooklyn street scenes

I'm a little curious about the mirror, too. The ducklings in the cage are pretty funny, too. It wouldn't be a real challenge for them to slip through the cage bars.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brooklyn street scenes

"The ducklings in the cage are pretty funny, too. It wouldn't be a real challenge for them to slip through the cage bars."

That's excactly what happened actually. The ducklings started jumping up and down in the pot, like so many pieces of furry yellow popcorn, until they popped out of the pot, squeezed through the bars and scattered around the street. That's when the neighbors decided to take more direct action :-).

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brooklyn street scenes

"Birdbrain" doesn't only refer to the ducks!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brooklyn street scenes

It's not summer until the kids open up a fire hydrant. Love it.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brooklyn street scenes

Alice wrote:

<<It's not summer until the kids open up a fire hydrant. Love it. >>

I meant to comment on this earlier. Is this something you can get into trouble for? Oh, and how to they get it opened? I would think it would require some kind of special tool or key or something.

All that aside, I can imagine that it's great fun for the kiddos on a hot summer day! :D