We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants Near East 50th between 3rd and Lexington

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants Near East 50th between 3rd and Lexington

I finally decided on a hotel, the Affinia 50, now I'm interested in any recommendations you guys have on restaurants nearby. I will have two elderly relatives with me who will not want to travel across town for breakfast. lol

United States
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants Near East 50th between 3rd and Lexington

For breakfast, you can try Oscar's and for dinner Bull and Bear. Both at Waldorf = Astoria Hotel. Bull and Bear's steak is one of the best in the area. I also heard great things about Michael Jordan's Steakhouse at the Grand Central Station (42nd Lexington Ave.). Good luck!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants Near East 50th between 3rd and Lexington

Do a restaurant search at www.menupages.com, and you can look up any area of town. I'm staying at the Affinia 50, too, so I've been looking for restaurants in the area. We'll be there in September, how about you?

Flushing, NY
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants Near East 50th between 3rd and Lexington

Kylee, if you really want to impress your relatives, take them for brunch at St. Bart's Church, corner of 50th and Park. Yes, it's a church but they serve excellent food and their weekend brunches are one of New York's "hidden gems."

Colorado
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants Near East 50th between 3rd and Lexington

Kylee, I'm looking for reasonable but good restauarants in the area as well. I noticed you mentioned breakfast so here's my list:

Morning Star Cafe, 949 2nd Ave (Btwn 50th & 51st St)

New York Luncheonette, 135 E 50th St (Btwn Lex & 3rd Ave)

Tal Bagels, 977 1st Ave (Btwn 53rd & 54th St)

Lenny's, 1024 2nd Ave (At 54th St)

Bunchberries, 222 E 53rd St (Btwn 2nd & 3rd Ave)

Morning star sounds like a pretty basic diner. It seems like I've seen New York Lucheonette recommended before but not sure where. Bunchberries is a health food place. The other two are bagel places.

We may not be looking for the same types of places...hope this helps.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants Near East 50th between 3rd and Lexington

Ess-a-bagel, 3rd ave 50-51 st. Cafeteria style (no waiters) but OUTSTANDING bagels and toppings etc. The Brasserie at 53 st just off Lexington (toward Park Ave.) is a famous and fancier place open 24/7 I think. Has a counter or tables. Good croissants and also full breakfast but will be more expensive. That stretch of Lexington from 50-~54 st has several places including I think a Cosi sandwich shop.

Other restaurants in the area for lunch and dinner with some senior appeal ;)

La Mangeoire 2nd & 53-54 st good French with prix fixe dinner

La Mediteranee 2nd & 50-51 st also French with good prix fixe lunch and dinner

PJ Clarke's 3rd & 55 st famous saloon. Great burgers and salads.

Shun Lee Palace 55st b/w Lex & 3rd outstanding Chinese (pricey) On the same block, Our Town ,also Chinese, less expensive and very good.

Angelo's pizza 2nd ave & 55 st

F & B 52 st b/w Lex & 3rd good fast food hot dogs and champagne!

If they like mussels, Jubilee on 54 b/w 1st-2nd is terrific.

Someone else on this board has recommended Houston's in the Citicorp building (3rd & 54 st) I've never been but they say it's good food reasonably priced.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants Near East 50th between 3rd and Lexington

NYCforMe: I will be there in September, too (7th-12th). What dates will you be there??

Ruffian42: Thanks for the Brunch idea. I always put "Hidden Gems" on my list not to be missed.

NYwhiz: Once again, your suggestions are awesome! "Senior Appeal" -- exactly what I wanted to find ! :0) Any other suggestions for activities with Senior Appeal would be great. Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Empire State Building, Ground Zero, UN, St. Patricks, Central Park, the Met, tour of Chinatown, Big Apple Greeter tour (I hope), and a Broadway show are what I've come up with so far. (Just to remind you, my aunt will probably be in a wheelchair for most of our excursions). This is a pretty good list of things to do, I think, but if there's something off the beaten path (or one of NYC's Hidden Gems) that you thing they would enjoy more that what I've listed, please let me know! We'll be there 5 days.

Everyone Else: Thank you so much for your suggestions. They sound wonderful. I can hardly wait to try them out!

Boca Raton, FL
Level Contributor
77 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants Near East 50th between 3rd and Lexington

Kylee, another restaurant with senior appeal if you like seafood is The Captain's Table, 860 2nd Ave. (E.46th St.) NY Whiz's suggestions are excellent though especially Shun Lee Palace, PJ Clarke's, & Le Mangeoire--your relatives should be very happy there. If you're feeling a little adventurous, there's also an excellent Lebanese restaurant called Al Bustan, 827 3rd Avenue (between E.50th & E.51st St.). I don't however recommend the Bull & Bear at the Waldorf (expensive & food is mediocre at best). Enjoy your stay in the world's greatest city!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants Near East 50th between 3rd and Lexington

Thanks Little Queenie ! Your suggestions sound great. I'm trying to make this trip a special one for my relatives. I'll put your suggestion on my list.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants Near East 50th between 3rd and Lexington

Kylee, we leave the 5th so I'll miss you by a couple days. Thanks so much for this post - I'm gathering all this great info, too!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants Near East 50th between 3rd and Lexington

Kylee, I think your plans could be a bit ambitious for seniors, depending on how senior and mobile they are ;) I would strongly suggest considering some sort of bus tour. Maybe NY Party Shuttle which is a smaller bus that stays with you would be good for the first day. It's 6 hrs, starting at noon.

I think standing in lines for the ESB could get pretty old pretty fast. I personally wouldn't take seniors there, especially someone in a wheel chair. Ditto to the Chinatown tour. May not be for them.

I do think they'd enjoy Ellis Island, the Met, a Big Apple Greeter, the UN, a show. Depending on how "into" art they are, they might also enjoy a smaller museum. The Frick is wonderful (check the website), the Neue Museum is just 3 blocks north of the Met at 86 th st. and has Viennese art (only open weekends though--check days and times). There's also a wonderful cafe in the Neue-pronounced "new"-- called Cafe Sabarsky that has great Viennese pastries. It's open every day even when the museum's not. Nice for breakfast, lunch, a tea/coffee stop in the afternoon.

Chamber Magic is a show on Fri nights at the Waldorf Astoria which is right near the Affinia (a block away). I haven't been ,but Voyagereuse, another poster here, is a big fan and has sent several people who really enjoyed it. I think I saw discounts available on playbill.com (register for free on their website to see discount offers OR it might be listed on broadwaybox,com, not sure). It would be a nice way to also see the inside of the Waldorf. I agree about the Bull & Bear. Very overpriced for mediocre food. I also strongly agree with Ruff's suggestion of St. Bart's Cafe.

I don't remember when you're here Kylee, but the often mentioned conservatory gardens in Central Park (at 104 st-so very high up) are a wonderful sight in good weather. On a weekend, you'll often see brides having pictures taken there. A lunch at the Boathouse in Central Park would also be very appealing to your group.

Hope this helps.