We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in New York

2 posts
Staying in New York
Save

Ok people.

Am travelling to New York for a ( What was a surprise Birthday present for my wife’s 60th, but due to COVID was cancelled).

But, in May, we’ve (so far) got the green light to travel. We dock on the 1st of May 2022 for a 7 night stay. So many questions, so excited.

Where do you stay in New York?

Like Mid-Town, but looks pricey, love the name Hells Kitchen, but reading up so many places to visit and avoid.

Help please for a visitor from UK as to where to stay and visit..

Many thanks,

Paul

8 replies to this topic
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31,434 posts
1. Re: Staying in New York
Save

To get hotel advice specify 1) travel dates (Hotel prices vary significantly by date/demand) 2) room/bed configuration needed and any amenities desired 3) arrival airport (or, since you said dock - are you arriving by ship? If yes, which of the 3 cruise ports?) and 4) hotel budget in $

As to what to see - there are the famous places but, depending on your personal interests, perhaps some other places as well

USA
Level Contributor
22,345 posts
27 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Staying in New York
Save

Agreed, what is your budget per night in USD?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11,793 posts
18 reviews
137 helpful votes
3. Re: Staying in New York
Save

Budget will dictate hotel choices. There are many different neighborhoods to choose from In Manhattan itself

all with different characteristics and vibes.

Midtown, that you mentioned has a lot of hotels, they’re not all pricey, but of course we don’t know how much you can spend per night , the number in your party, the number of beds needed and importantly your EXACT dates.

Dates matter. As mentioned hotels Fluctuate by date.

Edited: 17 October 2021, 09:39
2 posts
4. Re: Staying in New York
Save

Arrive the morning of 1st May at the Brooklyn Cruise terminal. And then leave JFK Airport on the 8th.

Have a budget of $1800 for the week for the two of us for a hotel.

Was thinking Mid-Town as its cental for us for sightseeing etc.

Paul

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31,434 posts
5. Re: Staying in New York
Save

Midtown is certainly a possibility but not your only option

I'd recommend you use google maps and/or the MTA trip planner to get a better sense of geography / distances between hotels & the things you want to see https://new.mta.info/

No hotel is within convenient walking distance of all the typical sights. Convenience to the subway / buses is important

That cruise terminal is not convenient for transit so a cab or car service upon arrival is easiest with luggage https://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/directions/

For your JFK departure there are cab & transit options https://www.jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/public-transportation

Hopefully the hotel experts will be along soon with ideas

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11,793 posts
18 reviews
137 helpful votes
6. Re: Staying in New York
Save

>>I'd recommend you use google maps and/or the MTA trip planner to get a better sense of geography / distances between hotels & the things you want to see>>><

I agree. On Google maps I always do sample trips from my considered hotels to all the things I want to see. Then I know exactly which mode of transportation I will need. This really helps in hotel decision. Price isnt the only factor when choosing. A good location can sway me to a higher priced hotel.

I also suggest using Citymapper transportation app as well. The MTA planner can be a bit overwhelming to a someone unfamiliar with the city, but all three should be looked at to see which one you prefer using.

I see a lot of Hotels in your price range in Midtown and in other areas of Manhattan.

Have you seen any of interest?

I would definitely be only looking at Free cancellation offers with out penalty.

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,730 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
7. Re: Staying in New York
Save

Take a look at the Affinia Shelburne. They have a Super Weekly Rate that's coming in at $1606.00 in total and they'll waive the daily facility fee.

And in Midtown, you might want to take a look at these and see if you like them, what their latest reviews are like, and whether the cost suits you. Looking quickly on hotelscombined they could be within your budget.

Hotel Shocard, Room Mate Grace, Hotel Riu Plaza, Element Times Square, Four Points by Sheraton Midtown, The Distrikt Hotel, The Sanctuary Hotel, Riu Plaza Manhattan

Note that it's still quite a while until May 2022 so rates could change and other (better) hotels may appear in searches. Don't make any non-cancellable reservations yet. The Black Friday sales can have some good hotel deals.

But that Shelburne rate is pretty good. It's also cancellable if you need to change your plans.

Hungerford, United...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
80 reviews
104 helpful votes
8. Re: Staying in New York
Save

Look at hotels on the parallel streets between west 40th and west 36th. There are a lot of good hotels in this area, such as four points, elements, distrikt, crowne plaza usually at reasonable (for New York) prices.

FYI, I really like Hell's Kitchen, we have stayed in that area loads. Apart from an iffy area next to the port authority by the probation office, it doesn't feel sketchy, just less touristy - more like real new york should feel! Lots of good bars and restaurants in that area between 8th and 10th. NB: this is pre-covid, I haven't been since, so don't if it's changed! I know our go to hotel, the Staybridge suites, is nor more :-(

Reply to: Staying in New York
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.