We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short NYC trip with teens - trip report

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
129 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
Short NYC trip with teens - trip report
Save

We took our teenaged girls to NYC for their first time and tried to cram in as much as possible. I think we accomplished that. Long report follows but some overall impressions. I’ve been to NYC many times and always have had at least one bad experience. Every single encounter this trip was amazing. Maybe in the travel industry they’re just glad to be working again, but hats off. That said, it was really tough to get a taxi. We were told that a lot of drivers quit, so we ended up using the subway and Uber a lot (great drivers). The subway did make me mad – we started with the same dollar amount on four cards, and after two days two of our cards had lost money. Happened again the next day, so overall we lost $11 to MTA. Not sure how to avoid this, but be warned.

Flew in and out of Newark because we tacked on a few days with family in PA. EWR security line was harsh, maybe an hour wait. Stayed at Hampton Inn North Times Square. Excellent staff, very helpful. Free breakfast which was pretty good but packed. Only ate there twice. Location was between several subway lines and very close to theaters. Comfy beds, relatively large rooms for NY.

Day 1: arrived and wandered a bit. Stopped at Grand Central Station and Magnolia Bakery for banana pudding – yum - which we ate in Bryant Park. Wandered into Macy’s and bought shoes on sale because we brought boots (isn't it October?) but it was nearing 80. Saw Little Shop of Horrors that night. Great cast, a lot of fun.

Day 2: Headed downtown, saw WTC 9/11 memorial. Very touching. I think it was very well done. Walked into Oculus then headed to Chelsea and High Line. Then had lunch at Orchard Townhouse. Absolutely delicious and very reasonably priced. Caught a boat tour from Classic Harbor Line around Manhattan that was excellent. Only drawback is we were placed at the very back of the boat and it was difficult to hear the guide. There’s a sweet spot on the bow with great views and easy-to-hear, but it was too chilly outside (the only day we could have used heavy sweaters and we left them at the hotel). Highly recommend, but bring warm clothing to be outside as needed.

Day 3: My daughter wanted to have Breakfast at Tiffanys, so we searched for a bakery along the route but non-Starbucks options seemed to be closed. Stumbled on a deli serving coffee and some pastries, loaded up and got some great pics at 5th Ave location. The security guard was really great and told us to come inside, it was ok to bring drinks in. We never would have wandered Tiffanys otherwise. Such fun – not going to be buying a $3,000 bocce set anytime soon but great experience. Then explored Central Park, ate lunch at Boathouse – excellent! I keep a travel diary and in 2004 I noted that staff there was arrogant and not to return. Glad I did. Great view too. They were filming scenes for a Netflix series while we were there so we all watched the process. Ate at B Side pizza (delicious, again great service) then To Kill a Mockingbird. This may be the best show I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a lot of theater.

Day 4: Metropolitan Museum of Art day. Lots to see, but after a few hours it all blended together. Probably should have done this first since we were pretty exhausted. The biggest drawback here was the dining option, of which there were two. One seemed packed, the other was insanely priced for pretty bad food. I realize it supports the museum, but that doesn’t mean it has to be bad. Ended up leaving pretty soon after that and walked to Belvedere Castle. That night we ate at Guantanamera but were too early for live music (6pm reservations). At least the atmosphere & food were fantastic! Saw Aladdin as a last minute addition (what can I say, inexpensive tickets)

Day 5: Met a friend in East Village for brunch at Westville Café. Wow! So good, and then walked around East Village, Washington Square, NoHo and SoHo before heading to Rockefeller Center before heading to airport. Very glad the kids got to see some neighborhoods as a contrast to the theater district. Plus we got cookies at Levain - about the heaviest bag ever but SO yummy.

14 replies to this topic
New York City
Level Contributor
11,061 posts
126 reviews
83 helpful votes
1. Re: Short NYC trip with teens - trip report
Save

Great report

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Short NYC trip with teens - trip report
Save

Great trip report!! I want to try the bread pudding at Magnolia.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11,793 posts
18 reviews
137 helpful votes
3. Re: Short NYC trip with teens - trip report
Save

Very nice report. Thank you for taking the time and effort to write.

Nice to hear that you didn’t have a bad experience this trip that’s wonderful.

Your details about the Classic Harbor Tour should be helpful to others. The fact that you loved your service at the CP boathouse this time ,how lovely and fortunate.

It’s very cool that you got let inside Tiffany’s with your drink at that.

You did a lot of versatile things. I must say your trip makes me yearn for New York city ,thank you again

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
506 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Short NYC trip with teens - trip report
Save

Nice trip report! Did you have reservations for “The Boathouse” or was it a random decision to eat there? How long was the wait?

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Short NYC trip with teens - trip report
Save

Nice report, you done loads!

Alabama
Level Contributor
138 posts
39 reviews
89 helpful votes
6. Re: Short NYC trip with teens - trip report
Save

Thanks for the excellent trip report. And perfect timing for me, as my daughter and I will be there in two weeks. Interesting, some of the things we are planning to do are what you all did! Staying at the same hotel, etc.

I will also look into the restaurants you liked and like at things you did that weren’t on our list yet.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
129 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
7. Re: Short NYC trip with teens - trip report
Save

jyee24, we didn't have reservations at Boathouse but were seated quickly with no wait. It was a weekday and we arrived when they opened at noon (doors actually opened about 5-10 minutes earlier). People were waiting when we left around 1 so probably a good idea to have them.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
129 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
8. Re: Short NYC trip with teens - trip report
Save

Lynn, I think you'll have a great time! If you have questions let me know - we did a lot more than on this list but so much was dumb luck. If she's interested, try exploring the area near Rockefeller Center in the afternoon in case they're looking for people on standby for Tonight Show taping. There were also folks in Times Square looking for people to watch a Comedy Central taping. Those are things we wish we could have squeezed in.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
9. Re: Short NYC trip with teens - trip report
Save

Nice to read that my city's coming back. Glad you had a great time. I'll be seeing To Kill A Mockingbird with my family this week, I can't wait.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
83,804 posts
8,650 reviews
4,063 helpful votes
10. Re: Short NYC trip with teens - trip report
Save

Fun trip. Thanks for your trip report.

Reply to: Short NYC trip with teens - trip report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.