We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....

New York City
Level Contributor
11,061 posts
126 reviews
83 helpful votes
NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....
Save

Im sure many know NYC has hidden treasures everywhere , I was walking around downtown Flushing and I found a real treasure that Ive never heard anything about before.

I found a Civil War Monument, that apparently was one of the first monuments for the civil war erected, it was erected even before the war ended . It was dedicated to the heroes who lived in Flushing who died in the war (In 1865 Flushing Queens was not part of NYC, it did not become part of NYC until 1898 when NYC consoladted in the current 5 boroughs, Before then NYC was just Manhattan and the Bronx (The Bronx became part of nyc in 1874) Brooklyn was a seperate city.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU3UvTgLqx2/

13 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11,793 posts
18 reviews
137 helpful votes
1. Re: NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....
Save

Very cool, interesting facts. Thanks Howard.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
186 reviews
58 helpful votes
2. Re: NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....
Save

Thanks for posting this Howard.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
90 reviews
51 helpful votes
3. Re: NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....
Save

I live about a 10 min. walk from the obelisk on a narrow island in the middle of Northern Blvd. in Flushing. It stands in front of the former "city hall" of Flushing, now an arts center. A bit east is a pink stone WWI monument carved by Hermon MacNeil of College Point who also worked on the Supreme Court Building in DC. Flushing was a rather progressive place and voted against becoming part of NYC. It had the first free public high school in what is now NYC and one of the earliest public libraries.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....
Save

Topping as the topic is great! What hidden treasures do you like in NYC?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31,434 posts
5. Re: NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....
Save

Around Main Street Flushing there is an easy walk around a number of historic sites https://michaelminn.net/newyork/areas/queens/flushing-freedom-mile/index.html

It's also historically important because of the Flushing Remonstrance - a Colonial petition that is considered a precursor to the United States Constitution's provision on freedom of religion in the Bill of Rights. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flushing_Remonstrance & related sites including the John Bowne House https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bowne_House

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
25 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....
Save

Thanks for this thread Howard.

I did that walk mentioned by Kaye in post 5 on my day in Queens ...it's really interesting and I think about it a lot when I think about my visits to NYC. There was a huge contrast between hustling, bustling Flushing Main Street and the streets nearby where these sites are. I remember heading off to the church and following the maps to the other sites and being amazed at how quiet it was.

Then back to the subway station to jump on the 7 to go to Flushing Meadows-Corona Park to see the Unisphere and visit the Queens Museum. What a great day that was.

Thanks for the post Kaye.

New York City
Level Contributor
11,061 posts
126 reviews
83 helpful votes
7. Re: NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....
Save

I do think a trip to Flushing seeing the Kingland Mansion, the Bowne House (Which just got designed a national landmark), the civil war Monument and the friends meeting house and then a visit to the New world mall food court and the flushing meadow park unisphere is definately something a repear visitor to NYC would be interesed in

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
25 reviews
10 helpful votes
8. Re: NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....
Save

I didn't go to the New World Food Mall, I went to Joe's Shanghai for delicious dumplings.

New York City
Level Contributor
11,061 posts
126 reviews
83 helpful votes
9. Re: NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....
Save

For people looking for food, the New world Mall food court is the way to go. There are lots of small kiosks and cheap and you can sample all sorts of food for cheap and its real asian food as opposed to american chinese. its aimed at asian immigrants not americans or tourists

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
10. Re: NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....
Save

The New World food Mall looks great!

Reply to: NYC has secret hidden treasures everywhere....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.