We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?
Save

Don't laugh, but we folks from small islands tend to shop for ordinary things when we travel to the USA. For example, Target is usually my first stop! I like department stores like JC Penney and individual stores like Loft and New York & Company. Macy's can be a bit pricy unless there are good sales. I have already noted where those stores are in Manhattan. Sometimes I can handle Marshall's, if it's not too confused (not that fond of pawing through long racks). I usually have a lot of luck at Kohl's, but don't see any in Manhattan.

Where else do women shop for business casual wear and classic staples, especially in slightly larger sizes (not juniors or teens)? I am not into designer wear particularly (I care more about what looks and fits right, and the right price, rather than whose name is on it. My office is pretty casual so I don't need any polished, corporate looks. I plan to come in November, so I know there won't be cute summer tops or sandals, but I'm hoping I can still find classic casual pants (a step up from jeans but not as formal as business slacks) and sleeveless shells (that are designed to be worn under jackets, but I won't be).

Ideas? I am in my early 50s and carrying some extra weight, but I don't dress like a grandma - I like classic with a touch of trend, if that makes any sense at all.

41 replies to this topic
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?
Save

Take a look at Uniqlo. Moderate prices and good quality for the price point. It's a Japanese chain with several locations in NYC. They have both classic basics as well as clothes with a "twist". I think the sizes in the stores mostly only go up to XL, although they have extended sizes online.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?
Save

BTW, there's a Kohl's in Newport Centre, just across the river in Jersey City. Very easy to get to using the PATH train (separate from the NYC subway but same $2.75 fare & you can use a pay-per-ride Metrocard.)

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
3. Re: Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?
Save

The area around Macy's has some regular stores too.

Between Union Square and Madison Square Park on 5th Ave there are some regular clothing stores like H&M, Banana Republic, Free People etc. There's a Nordstrom Rack at the SE corner of Union Square on E14th St. There's a Marshalls on 6th Ave near W18th St.

New York City
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
126 reviews
81 helpful votes
4. Re: Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?
Save

If you are willing to go to Queens, Queens Mall has it all (and Target is next doot to it). Its about a 15-20 Min Subway ride from Timed Square

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
41 reviews
73 helpful votes
5. Re: Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?
Save

I have not been there, but you may find that the Empire Outlets have what you’re looking for. Take the free Staten Island Ferry and walk there https://empireoutlets.nyc/

You might get lucky and find some summer stuff!

Edited: 16 September 2021, 03:00
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
30,827 posts
6. Re: Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?
Save

If you're willing to go to Queens there are three shopping malls along Queens Boulevard

This thread is old but the subway directions are accurate and mall links should still be good

Be sure to check the store directories - there may have been pandemic related changes

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k11897420-Queens_shopping_centre_from_Times_Square-New_York_City_New_York.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
9 reviews
13 helpful votes
7. Re: Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?
Save

I took a ride on the Staten Island ferry this summer just for fun (locals do it too!) and took a look around the outlet store there and it was pretty sad. Very few stores and even fewer shoppers. There was a line for vaccinations so that was heartening. Unless someone has more recent info, or if you know there’s something there you’re interested in, I wouldn’t make a special trip. If you’re taking the ferry anyway though, you might want to look around since it’s so close.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
41 reviews
73 helpful votes
8. Re: Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?
Save

Thanks BPNYC - that’s why I always add the caveat when I haven’t been somewhere, so it’s not an endorsement, just as idea to research. I haven’t been there or Jersey Gardens, or any of the outlets centers except Woodbury, at least 3 years ago (and then only in the section with all of the designer stores because it’s fun).

I hesitate recommending TJ maxx or Marshall’s or those discount type places because so much stuff is damaged, and if a tourist discovers that when they get it home, they can’t return it. Very much caveat emptor.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
30,827 posts
9. Re: Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?
Save

One of the mall links in the thread linked in #6 was bad

This one should work https://www.regocenter.com/

Would you have a day to devote to an outlet run? Not recommended for most visitors but they often have past season merchandise that has been removed from the regular retail stores so you might consider it (both require bus rides)

Jersey Gardens https://www.simon.com/mall/the-mills-at-jersey-gardens/stores

Woodbury Commons https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/woodbury-common

New York City
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
126 reviews
81 helpful votes
10. Re: Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?
Save

There is Shopoing center in College Point Queens with a TJ Maxx and Target, however its not near the subway and clearly made for people with cars as it has a huge parking lot,There is a similar shopoing center in Canarsie Brooklyn, Again with a large parking lot and not near the Subway

Reply to: Regular (not high end) shopping in Manhattan for women?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.