We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this itinerary make sense?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Does this itinerary make sense?
Save

Hello all, I've been ready this forum and got a bunch of great ideas for my trip to NYC next week. It will just be me and my wife. I wanted to see if you all thought this itinerary was workable, and had any suggestions.

Wednesday - Get in late to LaGuardia staying with an acquaintance in Long Island City will just take a taxi to LIC from the airport.

Thursday - Get up in the morning and take an Uber to our hotel (AC Hotel Downtown). Drop our bags and walk to the 9/11 Museum. After that is done, walk back to the hotel (trying to get an early check in) and freshen up and change to go to a Stephen Colbert taping (already have priority tickets). Dinner will be just whatever we come across that looks good (or if anyone has a place they recommend in the area).

Friday - Get up head up towards Central Park. Do the Met when it opens and then walk through Central Park until about 3:30 head back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. Reservations at 7:45 for Le Bernardin.

Saturday - Thought we would head over to Brooklyn for the day, so maybe get breakfast/brunch in Williamsburg. Then just spend the day exploring that area until 3 head back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. Was thinking of going to Joe Allen before our Broadway show - seeing the Lehman Trilogy.

Sunday - Possibly doing Buvette in the West Village for breakfast then just wandering the streets check out area head through Washington Square Park to end up at Veselka in the East Village for my next meal. Just kind of want to leave this day open to explore at leisure. So any suggestions also welcome.

Monday - Head to the airport in the morning to head home.

If anyone has any suggestions or changes glad to hear them. I have enjoyed reading others itineraries and trip reports for ideas. Thanks

9 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Does this itinerary make sense?
Save

Sounds great to me. Now I will add the Stephen Colbert show to my itinerary. I wish they offered tickets farther in advance.

I would add visiting the American Museum of Natural History to the list as it is truly a wonderful museum. I've been there once before and plan on returning on my upcoming trip.

Edited: 16 September 2021, 00:54
Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
2. Re: Does this itinerary make sense?
Save

Sounds like a very relaxing trip, not rushed at all.

Near your hotel the recently revamped Pier 16 and Seaport area might interest you for a look around.

While you're at The Met there are a couple of other smaller museums nearby that you might consider if the weather doesn't turn out good for walking Central Park. The Neue Galerie is good. The Cooper Hewitt is not far and the Museum of the City of New York is a little further north. These would only take a couple of hours to get through.

After you're done in Williamsburg, you can take a ferry back over to the Pier 11/Wall St pier in Manhattan which is not far from your hotel. The cost is $2.75 each and it's a nice trip from Williamsburg. The ferry goes under three bridges: The Williamsburg Bridge, the Manhattan Bridge, and the Brooklyn Bridge. It's a great trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Does this itinerary make sense?
Save

The Met has timed entry so you may want to get your tickets ahead of time to be sure it’s available for the time you want. I think it also saves you time waiting in line to do it that way.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
10,672 posts
90 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: Does this itinerary make sense?
Save

Yes, arrange your Met entry as soon as possible. Also, they require wearing a mask at all times in the museum and this applies to all persons.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
4,143 posts
20 reviews
50 helpful votes
5. Re: Does this itinerary make sense?
Save

On your Williamsburg Saturday, I recommend adding in the Brooklyn Flea and Smorgasburg to your wandering. Both are very close by to the ferry stop (less than 5 min walk), and I agree with Aynat on that being a great way to return to Manhattan.

Enjoy! Sounds like a wonderful weekend!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
186 reviews
57 helpful votes
6. Re: Does this itinerary make sense?
Save

I was at Veselka over the summer and didn't find it to be anything special, but it might be for sentimental reasons like it was for my friends who used to go there in their NYU days. I had no connection to the place and found the food bland and dull.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
7. Re: Does this itinerary make sense?
Save

Thank you so much to everyone who responded. I will take a look at the other museum recs and definitely buy my met tickets early. Thanks so much for the ferry and Williamsburg ideas, I didn't realize there was a ferry option so will definitely be our return plan and the flea market sounds fun.

I don't have any connection to Veselka, just saw some recommendations on here and someone told me they like it, so I won't make it a must stop.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15,636 posts
42 reviews
45 helpful votes
8. Re: Does this itinerary make sense?
Save

"I had no connection to the place and found the food bland and dull"

Thats essentially describing Russian/Ukrainian food is general, compared to other cuisines at least. Veselka is not fine dining by any means. Its old, iconic, and more like a Ukrainian diner which means hearty, grandma, comfort food. So bland to some could mean just what the dr ordered to others. If you want to try Pierogis especially this is the place.

The location is in a slowly disappearing Little Ukraine. If you want to try something much more local but much less touristy, check out Streecha nearby, not exactly a restaurant but a church sponsored eatery. You can even volunteer to make Pierogies there on Fridays (assuming they are still doing it).

Little Poland is another one, more diner-like than Veselka

Sweden
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
41 reviews
35 helpful votes
9. Re: Does this itinerary make sense?
Save

What Ziggy said. I'm one of the persons who sometimes recommend Veselka here - for the reasons described by him.

Reply to: Does this itinerary make sense?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.