We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jazz Club Planning

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Jazz Club Planning
Save

I will be in New York for work for a week this month (September 2021), staying in midtown near Central Park (W. 57th). I’m hoping to make the most of my time even though I’ll be working during the day. I travel solo a lot and am from the San Francisco area, so I am comfortable being out and about in a city, but I don’t really know my way around New York. I am fully vaccinated and will have my vaccination card with me to meet all regulations and protocols.My questions are

1. Has anyone been to The Iguana (W. 54th) on a Monday or Tuesday for Vince Giordano’s Nighthawks? Would you recommend it (for the music)?

2. If I had to choose between Birdland (not as close to hotel) and The Iguana, which would you recommend? Would Birdland be worth the extra travel (vs walking)?

3. I am considering doing Big Apple Jazz’s Harlem Juke Joint Tour to join a small group one evening to listen to jazz in Harlem. Would it be “safe” to take the subway to the meetup point (from midtown to Harlem) at 6-7pm for a woman by herself? It seems like it should be fine at that time, but I don’t know that route/area. If any other visitors have done this tour, I would love to hear your feedback.

I’m also open to other recommendations if there are any “don’t miss” venues for live music. Thank you for sharing your local knowledge!

7 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,048 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
1. Re: Jazz Club Planning
Save

1) Vince Giordano,s Nighthawks are great. I've not been to see them at Iguana though. I think they used to be at Iridium which is currently closed. (Reopening late Oct.)

2) depends on who,s playing. I’d go to both if you’re a jazz fan. Don't know where on w 57 st. You,re staying but Birdland is not that far a walk. Check google maps.

3) Harlem is a big area. Where is the meet up?

Dizzy,s Coca Cola/Jazz at Lincoln Center is near where you’re staying if they’re open. Also, you should see who,s playing in the clubs in Greenwich Village...they,re struggling and need support.

Edited: 09 September 2021, 09:01
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Jazz Club Planning
Save

Thank you for the great info nywhiz! You’re right, it’s only about a mile to Birdman, so easily walkable. I don’t know where the meeting location is for the Harlem jazz tour. I think it varies depending on what will be open. I’ll reach out to them to get more information to help me decide. Thanks for the other tips too!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,048 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
3. Re: Jazz Club Planning
Save

The big band at Birdland plays every Friday at 5. It,s fantastic if you can make it. I checked and Dizzy's is open. The venue itself is great with lovely views. It,s a great experience and the food is pretty good there too, something not true for many of the jazz venues. I’d be very comfortable there alone. I'll just warn if you sit at the bar, the seats would have your back to the performers but there are bar stools along the back wall which you can turn to face the front.

In Greenwich Village, Small's and Village Vanguard are iconic. The Bill. Charlap trio are playing the Vanguard for 2 weeks starting Sept. 21. If you’re here then, go!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Jazz Club Planning
Save

Thank you! That is the week I’ll be there so I got tickets to Bill Charlap! I’m not sure I’ll be able to make it for the Big Band (darn work!), but I’m going to try. Thanks for the great tips!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Jazz Club Planning
Save

I happened to look at Vince Giordano's website recently after seeing him play (not with the Nighthawks). According to his website, beginning September 20 he and the Nighthawks will be playing Monday and Tuesday nights downstairs at Bond45, not at the Iguana. That's also on the Bond45 website, which notes that September 20 is sold out.

https://vincegiordano.com/shows

https://www.bond45ny.com/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Jazz Club Planning
Save

Thank you for that update! I’ll see if I can get reservations for the 21st!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,048 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
7. Re: Jazz Club Planning
Save

Please post back with your reviews. Hope you have a great time.

Reply to: Jazz Club Planning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.