We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hows everything in NYC?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
Hows everything in NYC?
Save

Hi, Hows everyone in NYC? The pictures and videos were awful. We arrive in NYC on Sunday afternoon. Are the touristy places still open? Here is our itinerary, please see we have 8 yr old kids along so trying to decide if we need to push the travel or is it still doable?

Sunday- St Patricks , TOTR @sunset, Times square,

Monday -  central park , Roosevelt Tram, Lego store , bloomingdales

Tuesday -  brooklyn bridge walk, dumbo 

Wed -   edge , the vessel, chelsea market; pass by High line

Thursday - Statue of Liberty , battery park, carousel,  911 memorial, Wall street

We plan to shuffle it up considering weather.

18 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Hows everything in NYC?
Save

You will be fine. No need to push back.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Hows everything in NYC?
Save

Re your itinerary...

-The Vessel is closed. If you are going for a photo op, I might reconsider.

-You are going to the TOTR, R Tram, Brooklyn Bridge and Edge. That is a lot of viewing NYC from up above over 5 days.

Don't forget to just walk around the various neighborhoods in the city. Some events taking place:

-Washington Sq Park outdoor art fest. A great event and reason to visit the area.

-Coney Island "end" of summer weekend

-Bryant Park movies

Just my $.02.

-

USA
Level Contributor
22,087 posts
27 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Hows everything in NYC?
Save

***You will be fine. No need to push back.***

Exactly, come and enjoy.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Hows everything in NYC?
Save

https://www.earthcam.com/cams/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tsrobo1

Take a look at a live cam in Times Sq. The area will be packed later...especially during the long weekend.

NYC always bounces back!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Hows everything in NYC?
Save

#2. I read vessel is closed now but i added that just thinking its closer to The Edge and if I am around the neighborhood then might as well check it from below. We will be walking on the BB to experience it. My kids are excited to see the tall buildings (we are from Dallas lol)

Thanyou all for the encouragement. We are really looking forward to experience NYC.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Hows everything in NYC?
Save

Definitely check out the buildings. I didn't meant advise against. Just makes sure you take some time to just walk around and "hang out"!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,230 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Hows everything in NYC?
Save

Everything is fine in NYC. How is it there in Dallas? Seriously though the city is already back to normal. Almost all the subway lines are running regular service now and the one or two lines that have water issues are partial service and those stations that are being skipped aren't likely to be ones tourists would even be using in the first place. NYC is incredibly resilient, so there is really no reason to have any concerns. The storm is gone and the transit issues have been addressed.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
10,629 posts
90 reviews
51 helpful votes
8. Re: Hows everything in NYC?
Save

Yes, the Vessel is closed again. They tried restricting entry to groups, but a teenage male while with his family, took the jump. It will probably require serious heightening of the sides that will be both expensive and time-consuming.

Along 57th St., there are "supertall buildings that are very thin.

Edited: 03 September 2021, 23:56
New York City
Level Contributor
10,644 posts
126 reviews
80 helpful votes
9. Re: Hows everything in NYC?
Save

Dont pass by the High Line, Walk the High Line, its right by the bottom of the Edge anyway. You walk the High Line from the Chelsea market to the Edge

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
13 reviews
6 helpful votes
10. Re: Hows everything in NYC?
Save

As of today, the subway is already mostly back. Anything else that was majorly affected by the flooding (namely basement apartments :( ) won't have much affect on tourists.

I know a small venue or two that is temporarily closed due to flooding from roof leaks, but nothing that would have a noticeable affect on tourists.

Edited: 04 September 2021, 00:15
Reply to: Hows everything in NYC?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.