We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farthest You've Walked in NYC?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
Farthest You've Walked in NYC?
Save

I am getting so hyped about my trip to NYC soon. I am building up my stamina as I became a sort of recluse during the pandemic and gained weight and slowed down in my walking. Slowly I am building back up so I can walk for a long time without getting too fatigued.

During a trip to NYC, what is the longest distance or time you think you have walked? I am planning to walk a lot, though go at my own pace so I don't get winded or too tired too easily. I have heard that I need to make sure to walk fast when going up and down subway stairs, so I need to work on that.

27 replies to this topic
New York City
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
126 reviews
80 helpful votes
1. Re: Farthest You've Walked in NYC?
Save

From about a mile past downtown FLushing to Forest Hills, about 6 Miles

New York City
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
126 reviews
80 helpful votes
2. Re: Farthest You've Walked in NYC?
Save

I also walked during the Blackout from the Javits Center across manhattan to the Queensboro Bridge, Across the Queensboro Bridge to about a mile past Queens Plaza

Boston...
Level Contributor
49,639 posts
1,309 reviews
353 helpful votes
3. Re: Farthest You've Walked in NYC?
Save

We clocked 28 miles the weekend of July 4th (all on Saturday and Sunday), from the southern tip of Manhattan to 62nd and 2nd but mostly on the west side and going back and forth from there to the WTC area.

Flat ground and low humidity made it possible.

New York City
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
126 reviews
80 helpful votes
4. Re: Farthest You've Walked in NYC?
Save

And then I hitched a ride with someone (People were hitching rides during the blackout, Its not a normal thing in NYC) and my ride dropped me off about 1.5 Miles from my house.

I didnt get home until about 10pm

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
18 reviews
136 helpful votes
5. Re: Farthest You've Walked in NYC?
Save

I walk a lot and I don’t know what the furthest. I can remember one of my early trips with a friend we walked from battery Park up to Columbus Circle. I walk all over the place, Especially when I go with that particular friend. My friend is always telling me the mileage that we walked in one day but it’s not all in one shot ,it’s usually 10 miles or so.

You may have heard you have to go fast of the subway stairs but I don't think it a requirement.

Stay at the side near the railing and people will go around you. Stopping on the stairs is a no no.

I can walk pretty fast on a level surface, but I have to go slow up stairs because of my asthma. If I rushed up the stairs I’d have to spend a few moments recuperating so I don’t.

If it was an emergency I could go fast.

Edited: 01 September 2021, 00:05
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
6. Re: Farthest You've Walked in NYC?
Save

Does running count? If so 26 miles.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
24 reviews
18 helpful votes
7. Re: Farthest You've Walked in NYC?
Save

32 miles for the Great Saunter but I live here.

Longest is 42 miles in a day.

Edited: 01 September 2021, 01:36
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
10,629 posts
90 reviews
51 helpful votes
8. Re: Farthest You've Walked in NYC?
Save

In my younger years, I once walked from the Met Museum to the Battery and then back up to Grand Central (perhaps 10 miles). I certainly would not make it today.

Edited: 01 September 2021, 02:35
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
3,667 reviews
48,688 helpful votes
9. Re: Farthest You've Walked in NYC?
Save

E 46th & 5th Ave to Williamsburg

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,412 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
10. Re: Farthest You've Walked in NYC?
Save

Around 30,000 steps. All around Dumbo in Brooklyn then we took the subway over to Union Square and walked up to 54th St along Broadway.

Reply to: Farthest You've Walked in NYC?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.