We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 night stay, next month...

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
105 reviews
77 helpful votes
3 night stay, next month...
Save

Hi,

My husband and I (30s) are coming to NYC next month for 3 nights, it will be his first trip and I've been a handful of times, but havn't been to the city since 2016, so I'll be his tour guide basically. We are staying in LIC, I've stayed in LIC a couple times before and have no qualms riding the subway into the city, I want to show him some of the boroughs too. Arriving in and out of LGA.

We arrive noon time on a Saturday, planning on taking subway to our hotel. Then was planning on hitting the Midtown sights; Grand Central Station, Times Sq, Bryant Park, Madison Sq Park, possibly down to Washington Sq Park - time depending. Any recs for a rooftop bar?

On the Sunday, I was thinking a nice brunch somewhere, preferably outside sidewalk dining watching the world go by - any recs? Then going to Coney Island, want to ride the Cyclone (regret not doing it on previous trips), hit up Nathans, Rubys, make our way back to the city, stopping in DUMBO for pizza, Brooklyn Bridge Park area, walk the bridge back into the city.

Monday - Central Park day, checking out Zabars, Grays Papaya, and Levains too. Then we have tickets for the Yankees game that night, my husband wants to try a chopped cheese, unsure whether to get from just any bodega or go to Blue Sky Deli ? -- also my husband is very intrigued by bodegas and wants bacon, egg and cheeses for breakfast, I imagine there should be plenty of bodegas around our hotel in LIC.

Tues - Our flight leaves at 7pm. Plan on exploring Lower Manhattan that day, Staten Island Ferry, High Line, Greenwich Village, SoHo, Tribeca, Chinatown etc.., want to check out the new Little Island.

Any thoughts? Better days to do certain things?

Interests are sightseeing, exploring, breweries, good eats, baseball, soaking in the city.

16 replies to this topic
Manhattan
Level Contributor
10,254 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: 3 night stay, next month...
Save

Since you haven't been here since 2016 consider taking ferry.nyc from LIC to Wall Street for your downtown day. You'll both love it. https://ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/astoria/

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,362 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
2. Re: 3 night stay, next month...
Save

Saturday sounds OK. Rooftop bars in Midtown to look into are Bar 54 rooftop, Electric Lemon, Elsie Rooftop bar, Mandarin Oriental Lobby Bar, Refinery Rooftop, Spyglass, The Roof, Top of the Strand. If you want one in LIC I was going to suggest Savanna Rooftop but I think it might be closed.

Sunday sounds too busy to me. And very tiring.

Monday sounds OK.

Tuesday sounds way too busy for a departure day. I'd cut out a few things that aren't must-do's.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,001 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
3. Re: 3 night stay, next month...
Save

I think you’re trying to accomplish too much. What time do you arrive on Sat.? Which hotel in LIC?

Central Park is more fun on weekends with buskers and activity but you may not care.

Btw, it will take you 2-3 times as long to get to LIC from LGA than if you take a cab. You have to take a bus to the subway. LGA is 10-15 mins from LIC by car.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8,148 posts
47 reviews
31 helpful votes
4. Re: 3 night stay, next month...
Save

FWIW, I'd have your husband lead the trip in New York. Have him select where to go, what to see, places to visit, etc., including transportation. You just follow along and maybe suggest alternatives, as this sounds like it'll be his first trip. Letting him lead will be a great (fun) experience for him. I hope you both have a great time!

Edited: 01 September 2021, 21:24
New York City
Level Contributor
10,598 posts
125 reviews
80 helpful votes
5. Re: 3 night stay, next month...
Save

Sunday

Instead of going to Manhattan, Just go to the Time out Cafe in Brooklyn, Its near Brooklyn Bridge park, You can watch people there, Just as many as almost anywhere in Manhattan, then go to Coney Island

New York City
Level Contributor
10,598 posts
125 reviews
80 helpful votes
6. Re: 3 night stay, next month...
Save

I think there are Bodegas in Queens Plaza in Long Island City, LIC has become very upscale recently and that means less Bodegas

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
19 reviews
44 helpful votes
7. Re: 3 night stay, next month...
Save

Re: #3…the bus to the subway is really no big deal; if traffic is light it takes 10 minutes (think of it as an Airtrain on wheels), and if traffic is heavy, well, a taxi would be stuck in it too. But a lot depends on where the LIC hotel is…if it’s not close to one of the lines that serve the Jackson Hts station, I’d be tempted to take a taxi, too (and I’m a huge public transit booster who pretty much always takes the subway to/from LGA).

Re: your Sunday…for brunch, for efficiency’s sake, I’d pick something near whichever train you’ll be using to get to Coney Island (could be a nice way to take in another neighborhood). That means quite a wide swathe of Manhattan and Brooklyn come into play. For instance, if the F is convenient for you, you could hop off on the Lower East Side and go somewhere there…or continue on to Bergen or Carroll Sts in Brooklyn (tons of spots along Smith St)…or to Park Slope/Windsor Terrace. I’m not a big brunch person so don’t really have specific recommendations. (I do like Krupa Grocery a lot, but I think a lot of their seating is in their back garden rather than on the street.)

Or if you want to go a different, more informal route & it’s a nice day - check out Smorgasburg in Prospect Park and make a picnic of it. Definitely high quality people-watching in the park!

Oh, and while it’s not my stomping ground, I don’t think you’ll have any problem finding Bodega BECs in LIC.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
19 reviews
44 helpful votes
8. Re: 3 night stay, next month...
Save

Forgot to mention…you’ve probably researched this already, but there are a bunch of craft microbreweries in LIC and Brooklyn. Two Brooklyn breweries that would be near the F train - and therefore within striking distance on your Coney Island Day - are Other Half (assuming you like IPSs) and Folksbier. Then there’s the Coney Island Brewery, right on Surf Av by the stadium.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,001 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
9. Re: 3 night stay, next month...
Save

LInda, every time I've checked google maps for time to travel between LGA and several different LIC hotels, it says 15 mins to drive and anywhere from 30-60 + mins for bus/subway.

To OP, look at what things you can do at night to maximize your time. Coney Island could be fun at night.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
105 reviews
77 helpful votes
10. Re: 3 night stay, next month...
Save

Thanks guys.

We land 12:30pm LGA, annoyingly our flight time got pushed back. Staying at Hyatt Place LIC, our closest subway is Queensboro Plaza. It looks as if it’s 30mins either public trans or taxi. I forgot about the bus, I was thinking JFK/AirTrain in my head.

Maybe we should switch our Central Park day to our departure day, and then do our downtown neighborhoods on the Monday, just the 7pm baseball would restrict us - that whys I thought Central Park paired well with the baseball.

Then I thought Coney Island would be better on a weekend, and our evening/night activity would be DUMBO, Brooklyn Bridge. Though Sunday could be our better day to do Greenwich Village etc…

Definitely interested in hitting up some of the breweries in the city, have only been to Brooklyn Brewery before.

The ferry from LIC to Downtown sounds great - but would two ferry rides in one day be too much? And time consuming, we’d probably end up doing them back to back, which seems silly and then we’d make our way up Manhattan. The new ferry sounds great to me, but I know my husband wants to see the Statue of Liberty.

Reply to: 3 night stay, next month...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.