We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good street for terrace/outdoor bars & people watching

Level Contributor
38 posts
Good street for terrace/outdoor bars & people watching
Save

In town for 3 days over a weekend. Couple weeks down the line. Just me and my wife. Late 40’s but still enjoy sitting in bar/cafe and people watching along the street.

Haven’t been to the City in maybe 7-8 years. Outdoor terrace bars I enjoyed years ago included the Village’s White Horse and Zum Schneider (when it used to be in East Village). Also have stayed in Williamsburg a few years back and enjoyed though j don’t recall a lot of street side terrace set ups.

Just really trying to find a street or collection of streets where we can walk less than 10 minutes and have a fine selection of outdoor preferably street side (or if not, City-view) drinking options for a boozy afternoon or two. We are more beer/wine/shots types than cocktails, if it matters. Coffee shops and solid food in the AM…short walk

If Manhattan, looking to be staying between Chelsea down to Soho and over to LES. So let’s say 20th down through Houston and down around Broome. I know things change there…so just checking

Brooklyn maybe too. Williamsburg is ok; have stayed there before with friends. Or Cobble Hill/Gowanus. But we are open to other options

Any help appreciated. Cheers !

6 replies to this topic
New York City
Level Contributor
10,600 posts
125 reviews
80 helpful votes
1. Re: Good street for terrace/outdoor bars & people watching
Save

The time out Cafe in Brooklyn Bridge Park

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
10,340 posts
41 reviews
73 helpful votes
2. Re: Good street for terrace/outdoor bars & people watching
Save

Cornelia Street and in and around there in the Village. One big party.

Also the South Street Seaport and Pier 17.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
7,280 posts
19 reviews
44 helpful votes
3. Re: Good street for terrace/outdoor bars & people watching
Save

I think you’ll find that with the explosion of outdoor dining options, many streets/areas will give you what you’re looking for.

Since you’re here on a weekend, do try to experience one (or more) of our “open streets.” Vanderbilt Av in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, is especially festive, with great people-watching (closest subway is 2/3 to Grand Army Plaza). Same goes for much of Fifth Av in Park Slope. I’m less familiar with the scene in Williamsburg, but I’m guessing it’s similar.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Good street for terrace/outdoor bars & people watching
Save

Seconding Vanderbilt Ave and 5th Ave in Brooklyn, those are the two areas I was going to suggest as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
5. Re: Good street for terrace/outdoor bars & people watching
Save

There has been an explosion of outdoor dining. One of the few pluses from the pandemic. Basically any restaurant row in any residential area will have choices. Soho, Chelsea, the Village, almost everywhere you look now.

Level Contributor
38 posts
6. Re: Good street for terrace/outdoor bars & people watching
Save

Thanks all! Yes, I didn’t consider the side effect of COVID moving things to the street in spots. Keep em coming Please. Love to hear about your favorites…

Edited: 31 August 2021, 22:29
Reply to: Good street for terrace/outdoor bars & people watching
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.