We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
10,609 posts
90 reviews
51 helpful votes
Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania
Save

The end is near for our favorite hostelry after years of speculation. The poor dogs from the show at the Garden will have to find new digs. The demolition will likely bring many new "visitors" to nearby properties.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/08/updated-and-additional-renderings-for-foster-partners-1270-foot-supertall-penn-15-spotted-in-midtown-manhattan.html

10 replies to this topic
Sweden
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
41 reviews
35 helpful votes
1. Re: Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania
Save

Bye bye. Don't let the bedbugs bite. :P

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
7,029 posts
101 reviews
94 helpful votes
2. Re: Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania
Save

I would not stand anywhere close when it comes down 😅

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
3,649 reviews
48,474 helpful votes
3. Re: Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania
Save

My in-laws stayed there overnight after their wedding in 1974. They said it was in the beginning stages of becoming a dump.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,284 posts
49 reviews
32 helpful votes
4. Re: Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania
Save

In all the times I have visited NYC, I never got the experience of staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania.

Maybe I missed something, I mean, I can't leave a scathing review, or complain on here how bad it was, and didn't ask before hand (i'm sure that's been done).

M

Boston...
Level Contributor
49,364 posts
1,302 reviews
341 helpful votes
5. Re: Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania
Save

I was offered a job there in the mid 1980s

I needed the job

I turned down the job

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
69 reviews
76 helpful votes
6. Re: Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania
Save

Northern - that's funny

Chicago
Level Contributor
11,451 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania
Save

My brother proposed staying there two years ago, based solely on location.

Luckily I lurk in this forum….

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
114 reviews
77 helpful votes
8. Re: Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania
Save

My father stayed there in the 1950's and he said it was a dump at the time. Imagine now!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania
Save

Too bad Hotel Penn isn't so architecturally gorgeous that more people might have been motivated to want to save it. But a luxury building probably would have been too expensive for the Pennsylvania Railroad to want to spend for its passengers arriving in NYC. The original interior, though, has been described as quite ornate

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
10,609 posts
90 reviews
51 helpful votes
10. Re: Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania
Save

The Hotel Pennsylvania was built to match Pennsylvania Station by the same architects. The trains run through part of the basement. The original lobby was a two-story "Roman atrium." Shockingly, the hotel advertised it had a bathroom for every room instead of "down the hall." There were no TVs or even radios in those days and rooms sizes reflected the lesser need for space. There is actually a Hotel Pennsylvania Preservation Society that is obviously dismayed by the turn of events.

https://www.facebook.com/savehotelpenn/

Reply to: Bye bye Hotel Pennsylvania
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.