We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great NYC Visit So Far

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
122 reviews
112 helpful votes
Great NYC Visit So Far
Save

Arrived Thursday afternoon, checked into The Edition at Madison Square Park. Met up with a friend dating back to nursery school, grabbed a cocktail and great photo op at 230 5th before dinner at Ilili, which was good. Had a nightcap at Old Town Bar before calling it an evening.

On Friday walked all the way from my hotel to another friend’s apartment in Battery Park with an obligatory stop along the way at Washington Square Park.It was a hot day but I walked in the shade when I could. Grabbed lunch at Odeon in Tribeca (burger was nothing special) before heading on to a short ferry ride to Governors Island. Great views of Lower Manhattan and The Statue of Liberty. Had a couple of cocktails waiting out an afternoon downpour. Tired from a long day I had dinner at Eataly, which was OK.

Saturday morning had some danish at Ole & Steen, hit the nearby Equinox for a workout, brunch at Sarabeth’s and picked up a new Yankee tshirt….decided I was not going to try and pay $500 minimum to see Springsteen and, instead, snagged a last minute seat at the bar at Misi in Williamsburg. Great meal followed by a walk through Domino Park that gave me wonderful photo ops of the Manhattan skyline. I really liked the Kent Avenue area and will definitely be staying here (William Vale?) on my next visit.

Today I plan on going to Minetta Tavern—my gold standard for burgers (more like chopped steak) before visiting some cousins on the Upper West Side.

2020 was the first time in my life I had not spent any time in NY; hopefully the only time that happens.

10 replies to this topic
Sweden
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
41 reviews
35 helpful votes
1. Re: Great NYC Visit So Far
Save

Love your trip report so far. I like you rpick of places to eat. Ilili is a place I'd gladly return to, for example.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
18 reviews
136 helpful votes
2. Re: Great NYC Visit So Far
Save

Lovely trip report thank you. It sounds like my kind of trip.

I had to cancel my trip that would’ve been happening right about now, But reading yours made me smile.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
7,096 posts
101 reviews
94 helpful votes
3. Re: Great NYC Visit So Far
Save

I am enjoying reading your report. I do understand the feeling of 2020 being the only year I haven't been to New York. I went last weekend so 2021 is already different.

How long are you in New York City for?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,048 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
4. Re: Great NYC Visit So Far
Save

Sounds like we have similar tastes. Try Upland near your hotel. Bucatini is great and I'm not a big pasta lover. Good pizza too.

Check out photography museum Fotografiska. The restaurant is gorgeous.

Edited: 29 August 2021, 23:04
Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
122 reviews
112 helpful votes
5. Re: Great NYC Visit So Far
Save

In Manhattan until tomorrow afternoon, 2 nights on Long Island before I return home Wednesday (hopefully, flight not effected by Ida).

Just checked out a live, free jazz band at Madison Square Park across the street from my hotel after a light snack at Rezdora (very good, might go back for dinner rather than Minetta).

Forgot to name place where I had drinks on Governors island—Island Oyster….cool spot….off to the UWS in a bit to see my cousin for a quick visit.

Thanks for that museum tip.

Edited: 30 August 2021, 00:29
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
10,397 posts
41 reviews
73 helpful votes
6. Re: Great NYC Visit So Far
Save

Bummer that you skipped Springsteen, as it was truly extraordinary, 2 hours and 20 minutes of pure joy. But everything else sounds great.

Of all of the restaurants of that ilk, Odeon is my least favorite. They dial it in now. It used to be fantastic. Now it’s just for the nostalgia. Check out some of the recent coverage of Keith McNally and his dispute w his brother. (Look in NYTimes. Somehow I can’t cut and paste).

Also, Mark’s Off Madison is really good. Near your hotel.

Edited: 30 August 2021, 00:39
Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,418 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
7. Re: Great NYC Visit So Far
Save

The Edition, Ilili, Eataly, Domino Park, Governors Island, The William Vale, sounds like deja vu for me! All things I've enjoyed over the years.

If you think you'll like The William Vale you probably will. Summer is great there, the pool is huge and well cared for. Plus those views from the Westlight roooftop are sublime. You can see the whole of Manhattan from top to bottom.

Thanks for reporting back.

Edited: 30 August 2021, 04:16
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
76,051 posts
8,650 reviews
4,055 helpful votes
8. Re: Great NYC Visit So Far
Save

Happy you are having a good time. Enjoy your trip. Thanks for your report.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
122 reviews
112 helpful votes
9. Re: Great NYC Visit So Far
Save

One other tidbit of information: I found the yellow cabs to be nearly 1/2 the cost of Uber and Lyft.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
10. Re: Great NYC Visit So Far
Save

Great trip report. Can't wait to read more. Good to learn about the difference in costs between cabs and uber. I thought Uber would be cheaper.

Reply to: Great NYC Visit So Far
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.