We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging near Times Square/Theater District

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Lodging near Times Square/Theater District
Save

My family and I will be traveling to NYC for a long weekend in October. I am looking for a hotel near Times Square or the Theatre District where we can walk to dinner and shows. Currently, I have a room reserved at the Knickerbocker that a friend recommended. I got a really good rate when I booked 6 mths ago for a junior corner suite king bed. My issue is that we need to sleep 4 people in 3 separate spaces. My husband and I in the king bed, 15 yr old daughter on the couch (not pulled out) and a friend (male) on a rollaway. The room is almost 600sf but looking at pictures, there doesn’t seem to be a good space for a rollaway bed. There’s a lot of wasted hall and bathroom space. I called the hotel and they said they would make a note on the reservation that we need to accommodate a rollaway but I’m worried it won’t work.

I’m exploring other options and am having a hard time finding a suite or comparably sized room. I don’t want to give up the view, room size, or location. Quality still needs to be nice but it’s ok if the style is different than the Knickerbocker, especially if it’s a newer/more modern hotel. My budget is $400-500/night.

10 replies to this topic
Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
14 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Lodging near Times Square/Theater District
Save

Hotel rates can fluctuate significantly by dates. You'll get better suggestions if you offer exact dates.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,028 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
2. Re: Lodging near Times Square/Theater District
Save

Honestly I don't see how you can expect 3 separate “spaces” unless you book a 2 bedroom suite with someone on a sofa bed in the living room.. If you just mean 3 beds, you can find rooms with 2 double beds and sofabed (Marriott Marquis) or maybe 2 queen beds and sofabed. (Conrad midtown 2 queen beds and sofa in living room).

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
22,273 posts
27 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Lodging near Times Square/Theater District
Save

Even though I do a lot of theater, I tend not to lodge right in Times Square per se but head to hotels to the east & the west so that I can get out of the theater district's busy sidewalks asap. I find it's much less stressful.

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,391 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
4. Re: Lodging near Times Square/Theater District
Save

I took it to mean you would like 3 beds, rather than 3 bedrooms. I hope that's what you meant.

I looked at the Kimpton Muse which is in your preferred location which might suit you. Recent reviews have been pretty good.

They have a Two Queen Bed room within your budget (I did a random 4 night long weekend in October) but you'd need to look into whether they have rollaways available. That room is quite large (around 320sqft) and quite modern.

Choosing a non-refundable rate is cheaper but seeing that the visit is not until October, maybe look at the refundable rate just to be safe.

If you join the IHG rewards program you'll get the rate cheaper again.

https://www.themusehotel.com/

I also did a quick look at booking.com and the total looks like it could be cheaper there, compared to the hotel's own website, but please confirm as I only did a very quick look.

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,391 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
5. Re: Lodging near Times Square/Theater District
Save

Also looking at booking.com, The Iroquois hotel has a One Bedroom suite (around 630sqft) that has a separate bedroom with a King bed plus a sofa bed in the living area. Look into whether a rollaway is allowed.

Look at the hotels' own website too.

Recent reviews there are Excellent mainly.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
47 reviews
31 helpful votes
6. Re: Lodging near Times Square/Theater District
Save

New York is so (so) walkable, you can stay virtually anywhere in Manhattan and reach a good place for dinner and/or go to a show. Likewise, you can easily hop on a subway.

Walking around NYC across neighborhoods is a time honored experience for many of us. Find a good hotel at a rate you like and reserve it regardless of where it’s located: Upper West Side; Bryant Park; Financial District, etc.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Lodging near Times Square/Theater District
Save

By “spaces”, I mean a separate bed or sleeping area like a couch or rollaway. 2 queens and a pullout couch would work as well as 2 queens and a rollaway or any sort of suite. I just don’t want a 250 sf room with those options.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,028 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
8. Re: Lodging near Times Square/Theater District
Save

I don't think you'll find what you want at that price. So starting with the Knickerbocker

- have you included the cost of their daily resort fee in your calculation of what you have?

- will they charge extra for a roll away?

-typically, hotels that don't have floor space for a roll away won’t offer one. I would call during the week and ask to speak to the manager. If there is floor space, I think what you have is perhaps your best option. You might want to. check whether their 2 queen rooms are better laid out for a roll away bed. The rooms at the Knick are huge and while the building is old, it was gut renovated when it opened.

The Michelangelo has huge rooms (some with 2 king beds!) but decor is not modern and there aren,t views.

The Conrad Midtown will work in a 1 bedroom suite with 2 queen beds but the sofa is likely not a pull out and it will be more $$

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/nyccnci-conrad-new-york-midtown/?SEO_id=GMB-CI-NYCCNCI&y_source=1_ODQyMDQyMy03MTUtbG9jYXRpb24uZ29vZ2xlX3dlYnNpdGVfb3ZlcnJpZGU%3D

I don't think the rooms at the Muse are any bigger. The Iroquois has no views.

There are a number of suite hotels that would have the bedding you want but not in Times Square (midtown east) and not as modern. If you want to have a look, the nicest are

Affinia 50

Affinia Gardens

San Carlos

Kimberly

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Lodging near Times Square/Theater District
Save

Thanks!

Both the Affinia hotels look perfect in terms of rooms, but are not in the ideal location - but I may consider. Which location of the two has easiest access to transport/subway?

We stayed in Times Square two years ago and loved being able to walk outside the hotel and immediately feel immersed.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,028 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
10. Re: Lodging near Times Square/Theater District
Save

The Affinia hotels are more like serviced apartments. Neither have on site bars or restaurants afaik. That said, I noticed the Knickerbocker rooftop bar is open and one restaurant is open for buffet breakfast but nothing else. That could change by Oct.

Affinia 50 is not far from Rockefeller Center and Saks. Affinia Gardens is on a quiet block but close to Bloomingdales in one direction a nod Central Park is another. They are not glamorous but certainly not dumpy. As ai recall, both building we built as apartments (but they have been legal hotels for years). So bathrooms are average size and not very glam. There’s also Affinia Shelburne which is near Grand Central Terminal. They do have a restaurant a d a rooftop bar (if it's open). You are not guaranteed views in these although some rooms do have them. The Shelburne has some rooms with views of the Empire State. It,s very close to the Chrysler building too.

Reply to: Lodging near Times Square/Theater District
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.