We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.
Save

Hi,

I decided to book World Center Hotel in NYC (discounted price) for 9/6-9/10. It's pretty close to White Hall ferry (I'll park at Empire Outlet - Staten island ferry to Manhattan). I've been to NYC twice before covid-19 pandemic during Christmas (it was too cold for me to walk so many places). Here is my plan during stay:

day 1: I'll drive from Washington DC to Staten Island Ferry (expect to be there around 10am - take ferry to Manhattan. Drop off a small luggage at hotel (I hope they let me).

walk to 9/11 memorial, Brooklyn Bridge (I still don't know which gate to get to this bridge yet), then may have lunch at Dumbo.

Take ferry from Dumbo back to Manhattan - check in hotel and refresh - walk around downtown and head to Chinatown for dinner. Question: is it safe to walk to Brooklyn bridge at night? (I heard it's beautiful to view city light from the bridge)

Day 2: Walk to Battery Park to take Statue City Cruises Battery Park/ Liberty Island ( I guess it takes 1/2 day to visit)

Visit mid-town and want to take train to visit Columbia University and south end of Central park ( will have lunch and dinner in mid-town too)

Day 3: Go to Chinatown in Flushing (Queens) for food. Then come back Manhattan to visit Grand Central station and United Nations and other attractions along the way. Back to hotel and ready for check out next morning to go back Staten Island ferry.

Thanks.

13 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.
Save

**Drop off a small luggage at hotel (I hope they let me).**

I have not been to any hotel in the world that did not let me drop off my luggage prior to checkin.

**Question: is it safe to walk to Brooklyn bridge at night? (I heard it's beautiful to view city light from the bridge)

Is it safe in what sense?

-Crime? Absolutely.

-Falling off the bridge? Absolutely.

It is great walking the bridge at night seeing the skyline lit up. I actually walked the bridge during Superstorm Sandy and it was weird seeing parts of the city with no lights.

New York City
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
126 reviews
80 helpful votes
2. Re: itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.
Save

You relaize its about 40 mins from Midtown to Flushing Queens by Subway?

I wouldn't go to Flusing Queens just for food, if you are going to Flushing, go to Flushing Meadow Park and see the Unisphere, the NY State Pavilion and the Queens Museum (It has the relief map of NYC there)

if you are going to Columbia, go see Grants Tomb and Riverside Park, Not Central Park

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
22 reviews
44 helpful votes
3. Re: itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.
Save

Howard and I have different attitudes toward food! I would totally go to Flushing for food & the general experience (and have, on many occasions, even though it’s an even longer trip coming from Brooklyn). I totally agree with him about the coolness of Flushing Meadows park and the Queens Museum, though…especially the Panorama and the small Worlds Fair(s) exhibit.

No safety concerns walking the Brooklyn Bridge at night…in fact, it’s a great time to do it. Just be mindful of the bike lane (at least until the new lane on the roadway level opens).

I wasn’t sure what you meant by this:

>>> I still don't know which gate to get to this bridge yet <<<

Do you mean subway stop? General route? The answer will depend on where you’re coming from.

Edited: 28 August 2021, 01:27
New York City
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
126 reviews
80 helpful votes
4. Re: itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.
Save

My issue is going to Flushing just for food, that I dont agree with, but if you make it a general stop in Flushing, then its a good idea. The Unisphere, New York State Pavillion and Queens Museum would normally be a top rated stop (Especially the Unisphere) if it was someplace else in the city

This is the Unisphere in the Winter, so you can get an idea

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLSR9zgrXG_/

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.
Save

Thank you all for your suggestion. I will visit Unisphere before heading to town for food (I heard so much review about authentic chinese foods, so I wanna try). It's probably a long walk. To answer Linda E about the entrance to brooklyn bridge - Since I'll stay at Holiday Inn in financial district (sorry I just cancel World Center Hotel since I get better price at Holiday Inn), I just want to know how to get in the brooklyn bridge. google maps does not tell me much.

thanks again.

Edited: 28 August 2021, 03:59
New York City
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
126 reviews
80 helpful votes
6. Re: itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.
Save

Be aware its about a 2 mile walk from the Unisphere to Main St and Roosevelt Ave (downtown Flushing)

The Unisphere, Queens Museum and the New York State Pavillion are all next to each other. You definately want to go to the Queens Museum and see the NYC relief (its a map of every building in NYC)

New York City
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
126 reviews
80 helpful votes
7. Re: itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.
Save

Also in that area is the Hall of Science, Outside of the Hall of Science are some pretty cool rocket Ships, they were the Shells of Rocket Prototypes from NASA

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,417 posts
20 reviews
75 helpful votes
8. Re: itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.
Save

I would take the ferry over to Dumbo and walk the BB back to Manhattan. Views are better this way.

From the 9/11 Memorial walk to Pier 11 (for the ferry to Dumbo) via Wall Street and the Stock Exchange and Federal Hall. This is a very historic area, and you'll see a few more sights along the way. (Trinity Church and St Paul's Chapel might be good, small, detours).

New York City
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
126 reviews
80 helpful votes
9. Re: itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.
Save

I have the Queens Iternary for you

Take #7 train to the 111th St station

Walk to the Hall of Science and see the Rocket Ship Park

Then walk to the Unisphere, Queens Museum and New York State Pavillion (They are all in the same area)

Now there are 2 ways to go

You can Walk directly to Citifield and then Walk to Main St and Roosevelet Ave (Where all the restarants are) or you can walk indirectly through the Pools and founaints (There are some interesting statues here) and then go to Citifield.

Flushing Meadow Park can be a little tricky so you could get lost

If you are still interested, In Flushing there are 3 interesting sites in this area

The Quaker Meeting House, One of the oldest houses of Worship in the US, It does from the 17th centuray

And a few more blocks is The Bowne House which is the 3rd Oldest Building in NYC and the Kingland Estate, which dates from 1785

The walk back to Main St and Roosevelt Ave

If you just go to MainS t and Roosevelt Ave and miss the Pre-revilutionry war sites, go to ear at the New World Mall Food court, thats where you want to go to ear. Real Asian food, not for tourists

New York City
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
126 reviews
80 helpful votes
10. Re: itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.
Save

Its 2,5 Miles from the Unisphere/Queens Museum to the Bowne House (The furtherest Distance) you can Uber this (The Kingsland house is behind the Bowne House) and then walk back past the Quaker Meeting house and the New World Mall and the Subway. at Main and Rosevelt

Reply to: itinerary for 3 days in NYC - suggestion welcome.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.