We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day Layover in NYC - Suggestions?

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
34 helpful votes
1 Day Layover in NYC - Suggestions?
Save

I am flying in to JFK on October 18 at 5pm and flying out of EWR at 6pm on October 19 (both are international flights if that makes a difference). I'll essentially have one day in NYC, and I am looking for suggestions on where to stay for that night/day. It's just me (40-something woman) and I will have bulky luggage with me (my bike in a bike bag plus a suitcase), so a hotel would be preferable (where I can leave my luggage after checkout). I don't want to break the bank on accommodations, so maybe no more than $250 for the night. I'd like to stay in a neighbourhood that I can walk to get breakfast/lunch/dinner, etc., maybe do some shopping (an easy day if you will), with enough time to still get to EWR for my flight home. I've never been to NYC before, and most of the forum posts with long layovers are from pre-pandemic. Any suggestions that folks have are greatly appreciated!

9 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
22,086 posts
27 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: 1 Day Layover in NYC - Suggestions?
Save

Midtown west would be a good choice.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
30,642 posts
2. Re: 1 Day Layover in NYC - Suggestions?
Save

Do you have a personal sightseeing wish list?

If yes, describing that that can help people advise which evening & morning activities you can manage and where is most convenient to stay

Assume with that volume of luggage you'll be using cabs or car services for airport transport?

Possible evening activities (besides dinner) view from an observatory, ride on the Staten Island Ferry and/or a stroll through some interesting neighborhoods

Edited: 24 August 2021, 22:26
Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
34 helpful votes
3. Re: 1 Day Layover in NYC - Suggestions?
Save

Thanks very much for the replies! I don't have a personal sightseeing wish list, mostly because of the short time frame I'll have (I plan to come back to NYC another time to take in all the sights, at which point I'll have a very long wish list *lol*). I definitely plan to use cabs to move between the airports; otherwise, I'm fine with public transit/walking/biking/etc. to get around in the city. Low key activities are what I'd be looking for, things I can walk to (even as you mention Kaye, strolling through interesting neighbourhoods), etc.

New York City
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
126 reviews
80 helpful votes
4. Re: 1 Day Layover in NYC - Suggestions?
Save

This is what I would recommend

start at Times Square and walk down 47th St to Rockefeller Center, Go to 30 Rock , which is Top of the Rock Observatorry, You can see the NYC Skyline , the Empire State Building and the World trade center. You should be able to see the Statue of Liberty in the Distance

Now walk up 5th Ave to Central Park and explore Central park, its about a 15 Min walk from 59th St to Betheda Fountain and the Bow Bridge.

If you still have time, take Subway down to Battery Park and See the Statue of Liberty , NYC Skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,048 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
5. Re: 1 Day Layover in NYC - Suggestions?
Save

I'll try to deal with travel and hotel. It's a fixed fare from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan. Hopefully you'll be able to manage (maybe with a cart on wheels) to get out to the taxi stand. There’s an official taxi line outside each terminal. Make sure you take a regular yellow nyc taxi and keep the receipt you'll get from the dispatcher which will have the taxi number should you leave something behind one need to track that cab down. The fare is ~$52. With tolls and a tip for the driver it will be around $75. Your other option is to use a car service you can book in advance like

Dial7.com

Carmellimo.com

but I wouldn't prepay in case they don’t show up. Then you can just take a taxi. Those services charge about the same as a taxi.

Where to stay really depends on what you want to see. Assuming you want a taxi or car service to EWR (I would definitely use a car service for that trip to avoid last minute worry about finding a taxi when you need one) you can stay anywhere. Most airlines ask you to arrive 3 hrs. Before an international flight but I don’t know if that’s the same for a Canadian flight. That would mean arriving at 3 pm. If you allow an hour and a bit to travel, you don't have a lot of time. Here are a few hotel ideas

The Artezen in the financial district

People have been loving this relatively new hotel and it,s within your budget. It puts you near the Staten Island ferry for a free drive by of the Statue of Liberty , walking distance to the 9/11 Memorial, the One World Observatory and plenty of dining options. The Hilton Garden Inn a financial district also works but not as nice.

If you prefer staying in midtown (the more typical first time location) it looks like the Courtyard Central Park and possibly the Residence Inn a Central Park, both in the same building MIGHT be in budget if you join TripAdvisor Plus which has a discount. Great location and great views from most rooms. If that isn,t within budget, M Social hotel is in the same general area and will be within budget and has various view options on their own website. Join the Millenium frequent guest program for perhaps lower prices and more benefits.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 25 August 2021, 00:16
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
10,392 posts
41 reviews
73 helpful votes
6. Re: 1 Day Layover in NYC - Suggestions?
Save

One thing you do NOT need to worry about is finding food for breakfast lunch and dinner. Best to pick out your hotel, and then ask where to eat (budget, cuisine preferences help get more relevant responses). There is food everywhere, from coffee places with light, quick take out, to food carts, to bodega or sandwich type places, to casual restaurants, and high end (and high priced) cuisine. Many kitchens serve until 10 or later.

You can do a "highlights tour" like Howard suggested, or pick a fun neighborhood, like SoHo or the East Village or something like that, and just walk, and walk, and walk. (That's my kind of thing...I like to just sort of get lost). Or you can pick a world famous museum like the Met or MoMA and spend hours there....what's your preference?

USA
Level Contributor
22,086 posts
27 reviews
21 helpful votes
7. Re: 1 Day Layover in NYC - Suggestions?
Save

Yeah, you'll never go hungry here.

As Risa mentioned, you could pick a neighborhood and explore. I also find just getting lost to be enjoyable.

This site has so many great self guided walking tours, you could mix and match to your delight, enjoy:

https://www.walkingoffthebigapple.com/p/recommended-walks.html

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
13 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: 1 Day Layover in NYC - Suggestions?
Save

Midtown West is the best option if you are planning on taking public transportation with your luggage, as Penn Station is the major transfer point between the trains to the two airports.

The trains will save you a lot of money, but with that much luggage, you might just have to take taxis. In that case, I agree with others - anywhere in Manhattan south of Central Park would be a good choice.

Edited: 25 August 2021, 01:38
9. Re: 1 Day Layover in NYC - Suggestions?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2021, 11:45

Reply to: 1 Day Layover in NYC - Suggestions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.