We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key to NYC pass

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
129 reviews
81 helpful votes
Key to NYC pass
Save

De Blasio announced that the Key to NYC pass would be available beginning today. I’m not seeing it anywhere.

Does anybody have an update?

17 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
32,975 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Key to NYC pass
Save

Not exactly sure what you are looking for. Examples of places that are restricting unvaccinated people from entry?

You are welcome.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
10,608 posts
90 reviews
51 helpful votes
2. Re: Key to NYC pass
Save

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-vaccines-keytonyc.page

United States
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
3. Re: Key to NYC pass
Save

I don't know if that is the same thing as the pass for gym, restaurants, etc, but it's an app you can get from google or apple. The first link I found somewhere only had link to apple store so if you have Google go to play store. It's really stupid. It's just a frame for CDC card you probably already had many photos of. There is an.option to add official photo if you want. I found it awkward to use, but if it's what they want ..

United States
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
4. Re: Key to NYC pass
Save

By the way, my pass is called NYC COVID SAFE. I mention that because I had a devil of a time finding app in play store. I kept getting apps for all different states, but not this one. This may help you find it more easily.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
30,513 posts
5. Re: Key to NYC pass
Save

NYC's New COVID Vaccine Passport Simply A 'Glorified Photo Storage App,' Critics Say

https://gothamist.com/news/nycs-new-covid-vaccine-passport-simply-glorified-photo-storage-app-critics-say

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: Key to NYC pass
Save

Why is NYC trying to have its own app? We have a state app that works pretty well and actually verifies vaccination status. Can't wait until the mayor is gone.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
22,244 posts
27 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Key to NYC pass
Save

According to this article, the Key to New York City is not an app but just a compilation of mandates & a list of businesses that have agreed to abide by those mandates.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-york-vaccine-passport/#:~:text=To%20fulfill%20the%20%E2%80%9CKey%20to%20NYC%20Pass%E2%80%9D%20policy,a%20digital%20vaccine%20passport%20like%20the%20Excelsior%20app.

Edited: 17 August 2021, 01:43
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
30,513 posts
8. Re: Key to NYC pass
Save

#6 - The Excelsior pass can only access (& verify) the records of those vaccinated in NY State.

To me it seems the city app seems intended for visitors but is of questionable utility & veracity

https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-york-vaccine-passport/

Edited: 17 August 2021, 02:09
United States
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
9. Re: Key to NYC pass
Save

It is required beginning today at some indoor places like gyms and restaurants. (You apparently can still sit outside to eat without proof). I don't have whole list of types of places, and there may be additional places where it will be required in Sept. You can always show your paper CDC card or paper test results. This city app, like the state one, is just a way to store it electronically. I believe I heard the guy at the front desk at my gym tell someone you can also just take a photo of your proof with your phone and show them that. This afternoon they were also just waving in some people in who claimed they didn't know about the new rule. My gym has struck me as rather careless & disorganized regarding a lot of COVID protocols, so other places could be more strict.

Although I haven't seen lines in a couple months, over the past several days I have seen long lines outside an urgent care near me. Don't know why that is, whether testing or vaccinations, or both. For vaccinations I thought it was easiest to just go to a pharmacy, but have heard anecdotally some are no longer getting regular shipments of vaccine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
10. Re: Key to NYC pass
Save

#8 I understand that and I also understand that people who can't use the state app can still show their physical CDC card. What I still don't understand is why the city felt the need to create yet another app that doesn't verify anything. It just causes unnecessary confusion and feels like a mayor trying to get in front of the cameras yet again.

Reply to: Key to NYC pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.