We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?
Save

Hi,

Me n my wife will be visiting NYC and staying for 3 nights in first week of Sept 2021. We're torn between downtown and midtown. We plan to visit 9/11 museum, walk Brooklyn Bridge to Dumbo, Central Park (not all but partial of the park), Statue of Liberty. Our budget is between $100 - $130 per night. No need for fancy hotel, but safe and comfortable to stay for the nights. Any recommendation for hotels would be greatly appreicated.

thanks.

21 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,049 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
1. Re: Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?
Save

Your budget is probably too low for any decent hotel. Have you checked prices for your dates? Keep in mind taxes add 15% to prices and some hotels also charge a resort fee.

All of the things you list except Central Park are downtown in the financial district and it's usually less expensive in hotels .there. See what you find and check back here to make sure it's legal and decent.

Sweden
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
41 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?
Save

Since you have a bunch of downtown activities planned, staying downtown makes sense to me. But your budget is very very low. I think you won't have much choice in picking areas, you'd have to pick hotels that fit that budget to be honest. Have you tried doing a search on one of the third party hotel sites? That way you'd narrow it down to places that fit your budget. Ask here for input on those.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,049 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
3. Re: Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?
Save

PS if you plan to go to the Statue, you should book tickets in dance from the official seller

Statuecruises.com

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
129 reviews
81 helpful votes
4. Re: Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?
Save

I travel to NYC a couple of times a year (except between March 2020 and present). I am returning for 8 nights the end of September. Hotel rates are slightly less currently than they have been, but staying either midtown or downtown don’t think I’ve ever paid less than $300/night (and often closer to $400 w/ taxes and fees). I typically stay in a Hilton, but have also tried some less known brands. I really don’t know if you can find anything decent for $150 or under.

Good luck.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?
Save

The US Open runs from August 30 - Sept 12. Prices will be higher during you dates due to demand.

Edited: 16 August 2021, 22:30
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
18 reviews
136 helpful votes
6. Re: Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?
Save

What are your exact dates? I searched September 1 -4 and I found some very decent ones under $130 before taxes. I probably would stay downtown if I found a decent one in budget.

Look at the Holiday Inn lower Eastside, The Stewart , The Washington Jefferson hotel, pod 39.

Edited: 16 August 2021, 22:41
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?
Save

Idid a google map search (plan to stay 9/6 -9/10) and the only one in my price range is Four Points by Sheraton New York Downtown and Fairfield Inn New York Manhattan/Financial District. But there are more choice between $135 - $160. I'll take a look at some sites like Hotels.com or similar. Thank you all for your input.

Edited: 16 August 2021, 22:58
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,049 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
8. Re: Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?
Save

Both those hotels have some reviews that would worry me. Don't be pennywise and pound foolish (I.e. don't stay in a dump to save $50. ) It is usually cheaper if you include at least 1 weekend night. Btw, you said 3 nights and those dates are 4.

Edited: 16 August 2021, 23:18
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?
Save

oop sorry date 9/6 - 9/9. I read some bad reviews about those two as well. I'll look at some other places. Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
18 reviews
136 helpful votes
10. Re: Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?
Save

Do you have a genius discount on booking.com?

With that, the Stewart Hotel across from Penn station is a good deal for your dates September 6 of September 9 .

one queen bed With resort fee and taxes comes to $385 total

Reply to: Should I stay in downtown or midtown? Hotel recommendation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.