We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metrocard

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
Metrocard
Save

We will be in NYC for 5 days and staying in TS and going to the usual touristy places. We are 2 adults + 2 kids. For a day , we will be around TS, CP, TOTR, Lego store so it should be mostly walkable. Do we need to buy the 7 day metro card? If we don't, how do you get on the Roosevelt Tram? Can you just buy a ticket there?

15 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
32,994 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Metrocard
Save

Do you "need" to? No. You can buy a pay-per-ride card and add $.

Would I recommend it? Yes. An unlimited for everyone(depending on the kids height as 44" and under don't require a fare.)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,10,005 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
2. Re: Metrocard
Save

If you make 12 or more trips, the unlimited card is better value. If the kids are 44” or less, they ride free.

https://queenseagle.com/all/2019/3/4/heres-how-to-choose-the-best-metrocard-for-your-commute

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
30,563 posts
3. Re: Metrocard
Save

Weekly Metrocards are fairly likely to be your best value https://new.mta.info/fares Breakeven ~13 rides Even if you don't quite get to breakeven having a weekly unlimited lets you freely take short bus or subway rides and not spend time refilling cards

The RI tram is paid via Metrocard. (There are Metrocard vending machines at the tram stations and virtually all subway entrances Machines can be used to purchase and, if needed, refill cards)

I'd simply stop by a subway sometime during your walk.

If you see an attended subway booth be sure to pick up (free) paper subway maps as souvenirs

When I have house guests I give them a subway map and some highlighters to mark each days route during the our evening in debrief (different colors for each day) as a souvenir / memory aid. Your kids might enjoy that

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Metrocard
Save

my kids are 8 and over 44" so we will all have to buy the card. working on the map is a great suggestion, they love doing it. This is our temp itinerary. Does it need weekly pass?

Sunday- Hotel @TS -- St Patricks , TOTR @sunset, Times square

Monday -  central park , Roosevelt Tram, Lego store , Bloomingdales

Tuesday -  Brooklyn bridge walk, Timeout market for eating ; dumbo 

Wednesday -   edge , the vessel, Chelsea market for eating; pass by High line

Thursday - Statue of Liberty , battery park, carousel,  911 memorial walk, WTC, Wall street

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
32,994 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Metrocard
Save

5 days? I would get an unlimited.

Remember, you may want to head back to your hotel for a break or to wash up prior to dinner. So that may be another subway/bus ride.

Ex...when I am out and about during the weekend, I easily use the subway 6+ times in 1 day.

Level Contributor
1,295 posts
1 review
6. Re: Metrocard
Save

I count 8 planned subway/bus rides in your itinerary without even considering changing your plans, tired feet or bad weather. Get the passes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20,415 posts
95 reviews
64 helpful votes
7. Re: Metrocard
Save

At what hotel are you staying? Some hotels have "Times Square" in the name and are nowhere near TS. If you are staying actually in/near TS, then on Sunday, you can walk to those places, no Metrocard needed. (However, if it's raining/snowing/cold you might want to take a subway/bus. When are you coming?)

The LEGO store is in Rockefeller Center, so that would be better on Sunday. (Check if they're open.)

You could take a nice walk from TS to CP, but depending upon where you wish to go in CP, you might want to take public transport. CP is huge.

If you've been doing a lot of walking in the Park, it might feel like a slog to get to the Roosevelt Island Tram. On 59th St. between Madison & Park there's a bus stop. There you could get onto the Q32 bus (masks required) and take it a few short blocks to 59th & 2nd Ave. (last stop before bus goes to Queens). The Roosevelt Island Tram is just one block North from there. With an unlimited Metrocard it will be a breeze.

The rest of your days you will definitely need to take public transport.

Thursday. Try to get the earliest possible tickets for the Statue of Liberty--by 9:30-10 if you can. Otherwise the lines can be horrendous. If you go to the SOL and Ellis Island, this excursion will take the better part of 3 to 4 hours. There is no World Trade Center anymore. There's One World Observatory. NYC Expert Risa can suggest some stellar eating places down there.

Have a marvelous time!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
30,563 posts
8. Re: Metrocard
Save

I think they may be planning to go to the Lego store in the Flatiron https://www.lego.com/en-my/stores/store/flatiron-district so getting there and back will add rides

The Vessel is closed for climbing due to recent unfortunate events

I'd go for the convenience of the unlimiteds

Edited: 12 August 2021, 21:33
Sweden
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
41 reviews
35 helpful votes
9. Re: Metrocard
Save

Get them, even if you don't break even. I would break even in those days, and perhaps you do too, but even so ...

It means:

You save time by not having to refill the cards at all.

You don't have to even consider if you're going to take an 'unplanned' bus or subway trip. Let's say some of you are tired and want to save your feet for a bit - take that extra ride a few blocks or stations.

Major change in weather making you have to change some of your plans? Get to and from your next destination smoothly.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
759 posts
15 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Metrocard
Save

If you cannot get enough value out of the unlimited card, you can just use your credit card to tap everyone in now and pay per ride. So you won't actually need to buy cards. You can not utilize the unlimited system with this method though.

Diane

NYC Photo Safari

Reply to: Metrocard
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.