We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for a NYC trip for my niece.

Altmar, New York
3 posts
1 review
Tips for a NYC trip for my niece.
Save

Hi! My 19 year old niece and two friends are traveling to NYC in November. I told her to drive to Yonkers and take the train to NYC. But I can't find anywhere how much it is to park in the parking garage at the Amtrak station.

I booked her at the Chelsea Savoy Hotel, 204 W. 23rd Street. So where should they get off the train? They can get off the train and catch the subway to the hotel, in the same building, right?

Any tips about the subway? They have to go to the Javits building from the hotel.

Any info is appreciated. I was there about 12 years ago and I can't remember much.

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
1 review
1. Re: Tips for a NYC trip for my niece.
Save

The train will take them to Penn Station. From there they can walk to the hotel in under 10 minutes. Assuming the friends are the same age, have you confirmed that the hotel will accept a party of guests all under age 21?

For subway transportation, the number 1 train stops right outside the hotel. To go to Javits, they would take the 1 train uptown to Times Square, then transfer to the 7 train to Hudson Yards.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Tips for a NYC trip for my niece.
Save

To be honest, Google Maps generally has very good travel info, so a lot of this will probably be easily answered by just googling "Yonkers to 204 W 23rd St" and googling "204 W. 23rd St" to wherever else they want to go, like the Javits Building (is it definitely "Javits Building" that they're going to and not the Javits Center? One (Building) is a federal building, the other (Center) is a convention center).

Depending on how much they're up for walking, they may be able to get off the train if they come into Penn Station and walk to their hotel.

No tips on parking in Yonkers, unfortunately.

Is there anything in particular that you're wondering about the subway?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
30,638 posts
3. Re: Tips for a NYC trip for my niece.
Save

Why did you pick Yonkers?

Amtrak and the Metro North commuter trains run the same route along the Hudson River

If you click on the town/station names on this map http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm it will give you parking info for each town

There are some other stations farther north that have more parking in nicer towns. Look at Poughkeepsie, Croton-Harmon and Tarrytown

Will they be taking an MN train (which is cheaper, more frequent and goes into Grand Central) OR an Amtrak train (which needs reservations and goes into Penn Station)?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
18 reviews
136 helpful votes
4. Re: Tips for a NYC trip for my niece.
Save

My Subway tip is to tell the girls to download Citymapper on their phone for transit directions and walking. They may prefer Google, one or the other will show them how to get around, Even if they don’t know the city because you don’t need addresses or intersections, you use landmarks or hotel names etc.

3 posts
5. Re: Tips for a NYC trip for my niece.
Save

Hi! No I didn’t think to check on age requirements! I will tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. I will tell her.

3 posts
6. Re: Tips for a NYC trip for my niece.
Save

Thanks for the tip! I will tell them.

3 posts
7. Re: Tips for a NYC trip for my niece.
Save

Tudor the map! That was helpful! I just picked Yonkers bc that’s what I did years ago.

I think they will be taking the other one not Amtrak.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

USA
Level Contributor
22,083 posts
27 reviews
21 helpful votes
8. Re: Tips for a NYC trip for my niece.
Save

I suggest getting the young adults involved in the planning of their trip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
10,390 posts
41 reviews
73 helpful votes
9. Re: Tips for a NYC trip for my niece.
Save

If they're going to the Javits Center, they should walk from their hotel. It's under a half hour walk and they will see a bit of Manhattan.

Reply to: Tips for a NYC trip for my niece.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.