We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seating at the Met Opera: list included - which is best?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
Save Topic
Seating at the Met Opera: list included - which is best?

For those of you that have visited before, I need some advice about selecting seats at the Met Opera.

I want to see Madama Butterfly in October. I've got the price list (thank you kind people at the Met) and surprisingly, even though the tickets do not officially go on sale until August 19, the email I got said that as an international visitor, I could book now! That's off topic though.

I've listed the seating choices below (based on what I am prepared to pay for):

- At $140 I can sit in the Side Parterre Box. These seats come with the warning that views may be restricted. I'm not sure if the 'action' all takes place centre stage, or they use both sides of the stage for this production.

- At $140 I can sit at the rear of the Grand Tier. The rear is defined as any seat in rows E-G

- At $160 I can sit in a Dress Circle Premium seat - these are defined as seast 101-124 in Row A

- At $90 I can sit in a Balcony Premium seat - these are defined as seats 101-122 of Row A

Thanks in advance,

Mez.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seating at the Met Opera: list included - which is best?

I can only answer to the Grand Tier seats, since that's where we sat for the ballet earlier this month. We were in the 5th or 6th row, and our seats were excellent. Given a choice of the $140 seats, I would definitely go with the Grand Tier, since the side boxes are really quite far over to the side. The balcony is really high, so by process of elimination, I would take the Dress Circle or Grand Tier.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,555 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seating at the Met Opera: list included - which is best?

The Dress Circle for *Madonna* is especially good. This opera has surprisingly little going on that is not in the center of the stage and so these seats allow you to see and hear everything.

Pjk

conn
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seating at the Met Opera: list included - which is best?

Dress Circle or Balcony are your best bet. Balcony gives you a great fell for the size of the thearter and a sweeping view of stage

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,555 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seating at the Met Opera: list included - which is best?

"Balcony gives you a great fell..."

Only at the end of Tosca.

8-)

Pjk

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Seating at the Met Opera: list included - which is best?

I would recommend the dress circle premium seats. You usually can not get these unless you are a season's subscriber.

Gotham
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seating at the Met Opera: list included - which is best?

Another vote for Grand Tier or Dress Circle premium.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seating at the Met Opera: list included - which is best?

Grand Tier or Dress Circle -- absolutely. Forget about the side parterre boxes, unless you just want the rest of the house to admire your diamonds...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seating at the Met Opera: list included - which is best?

If you can do it, I would definitely go for the seats in Row A of the Dress Circle. You will have a marvelous view, better, I think, than the seats offered in the Grand Tier.

It's a beautiful production of Butterfly. Enjoy!

New Haven
Level Contributor
86 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seating at the Met Opera: list included - which is best?

I also vote for Dress Circle Row A.. Enjoy this fabulous opera.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Seating at the Met Opera: list included - which is best?

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I haven't bought them yet, but I have put in a 'request' for my preferred seats. Apparently I was given the wrong info originally about being able to buy them now - it's a request service only.

The tickets will be allocated in early August. They give preference (quite rightly) to patrons and subscribers first and then people that have made requests get in next. I'll definitely find out what I've got before they go on sale to the general public on Aug 19.

My first preference was Dress Circle Premium followed by the Dress Circle.

I didn't opt for the Grand Tier rear because after reading the reviews I decided to book myself on the Accomplice New York tour, so it kind of evens out on the money front.

Mez.