We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How HOT does it get?

southern ca
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Topic
How HOT does it get?

I will be in New York from July 21-27 and i'm just wonerding how hot and muggy does it normally get in the city this time of year?

Reading from other people's post, it seems like it's the worst time of the year to visit.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How HOT does it get?

Actually August is worse but it can get pretty hot & humid, and sometimes it is warm & not humid, you just never know.

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How HOT does it get?

I will be travelling during the month of July as well, and I was wondering the same thing. From my research I'm thinking it will be between 80 and 90 everyday, give or take...how muggy and humid it gets I am not sure.

southern ca
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How HOT does it get?

Between 80 and 90 is not too bad. I live in the inland area of So Calif and it can get as high as 110 here in the summer. In fact the temp this weekend will hit the 90's out here so I should feel "right at home" in NYC during my visit.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How HOT does it get?

See link:

weather.com/outlook/…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How HOT does it get?

Keep in mind the humidity and plan your daytime activity accordingly. Mornings are great for a walk in the park, etc. Afternoons might be better spent inside an air conditioned place like a museum. Or maybe partially on a water taxi to take you from one place or another around the island, with stop-offs to take in some of the neighborhoods. Evenings don't cool down all that much, but if you are taking in a play or at a club you should be ok. Restaurants are almost all air conditioned for indoor seating. Just some suggestions. Summer or winter it's a wonderful city.

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How HOT does it get?

About what type of day would be considered ideal to go to the Coney Island beach? Obviously a warm, sunny one, but I can't imagine that a muggy, 95 degree day would be all that enjoyable. Or am I wrong?

dublin,ireland
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How HOT does it get?

I was there in July a couple of years ago and while it was hot and humid, we still walked around and did everything, including going out to Coney Island. From what I can remember it was actually a bit cooler when we were on the beach, which was a welcome relief! We're returning in July again and while Im not hugely looking forward to the humidity, the warm evenings are worth the humidity during the day-it's so nice to sit outside in the evenings. As mamaboo (sorry if I spelt that incorrect) said, during midday/afternoon, it's best to go to museums or other things like that which will keep you out of heat.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How HOT does it get?

July can be pretty humid ..... like pea soup ..... but it's hard to tell exactly. Let me see ..... where's that crystal ball of mine ..... I can never find it when I really need it. Anyway, me and my wife will usually take three or more showers a day just to refresh and cool down. The subway platforms can be especially brutally hot ..... so keep that in mind. You might also try only walking on the sidewalks past the stores that have their air conditioning blowing with their doors open ..... I think the stores leave the doors open to entice you to come in and cool off. Just hope we don't have a ..... (dare I say the dreaded "B" word) ..... BLACKOUT !!!!!! There I said it ..... we tend to get them in the summer when everyone has their AC blowing ..... i.e. like the stores with their doors open.

I don't know that it's to worst time to visit ..... a lot of New Yorkers will take their own vacations and get out of town so less people on the trains and in restaurants. Hey ..... you're from Southern California ..... you get hot weather ..... what are you worried about ..... it's not like we get Santa Anna winds or El Nino ?

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How HOT does it get?

Hi

I must just mention that we here in Uppsala, Sweden have now had threee days in a row with 30 degrees Celsius. Its so hot that the Polarbears have left for the Sahara desert for some cold. The funny thing is last week, it was around 10 degrees and we complained about how cold it was and now we complain about the heat...mankind loves to complain.

The lesson is you can never predict the weather these days(have you ever?)

Matte75

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How HOT does it get?

MAtte75 - you are right.

AndI still love that picture of your son!!!