We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New year in NYC with children... help!

Gloucestershire...
2 posts
New year in NYC with children... help!

Has anyone down new year in NYC with kids? We have boys aged 5 and 6 and want to do something NYE night time ( they can make it to 12, I know 🙈) we are staying on Broadway near Central Park. We we're thinking about watching the fire works,should we watch them from the park or go on a boat trip? Any advise greatly appreciated!

TIA 😁

10 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
1. Re: New year in NYC with children... help!

I am not an expert of the boat trips but I believe they are parties for adults and I don't know if any of them would accept young children. In any case the price for the boat trips are, I believe, from $350 and up per person.

IMHO taking children that young into adult venues on New year's Eve is a terrible idea. I would find a nice neighborhood restaurant and then take them to Central Park for the midnight fireworks.

Separately, you said you are staying on Broadway - but the question is where. Much of Broadway (from the mid 30s up to at lest the mid 50s) will be in the NYE Frozen Zone and getting in and out of hotels after the more than million people have collected will be difficult.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: New year in NYC with children... help!

New Victory Theater, a kids & family theater www.newvictory.org

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: New year in NYC with children... help!

^^ New Victory Theater has no performances on NYE, even during the day. I'd have been really surprised for them to have had something at night, since it's aimed at kids.

I was going to recommend Big Apple Circus, but, looking at their website again, it looks like they're no longer offering an evening show on NYE. Too bad!

Dinner and the fireworks in Central Park is probably your best bet, just keep in mind that this is not a big display like it London; it's a private display put on by the NY Roadrunners Club as part of their NYE race.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: New year in NYC with children... help!

Since I raised my son here (now 20), I have done many NYE in NYC. Our favorite that we did for years (including your kids ages) was the Big Apple Circus which has a NYE show starting at 9:30 in Lincoln Center. The show ends at midnight with a countdown, dancing and noisemakers for kids, champagne for adults. Lot's of fun.

It looks to me like they ARE doing it.

Edited: 16 October 2018, 02:36
Canada
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: New year in NYC with children... help!

Your kids' bodies may still be on UK time, don't count on them making it to midnight.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: New year in NYC with children... help!

Samantha, can you provide a link? When I went to the Big Apple Circus website, it only showed a noon performance on NYE.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: New year in NYC with children... help!

Here's the Ticketmaster link.

https:/…030054E3BFE43DA5

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
19,912 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: New year in NYC with children... help!

I have never done the Big Apple circus on NYE, but I have volunteered for it(through my employer) during the holiday season. Highly recommend it.

Hopefully not much has changed since they got their second reprieve(almost shut down due to funding.)

Gloucestershire...
2 posts
9. Re: New year in NYC with children... help!

Thank you all - is there anywhere in Central park that's better to watch the fire works?

I'll look in to the circus too! Thank you!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
19,912 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: New year in NYC with children... help!

**Thank you all - is there anywhere in Central park that's better to watch the fire works?**

Anywhere around 72nd Street. Just look up. You will see them.

Reply to: New year in NYC with children... help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted