We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York, Times Square 2019

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
New York, Times Square 2019

Hi we are travelling to New York 24th Dec-1st Jan with two children 4 and 9. We will be there for New Year's Eve but with two children we don't want to wait in the middle of Times Square for hours waiting for the ball to drop, are there any restaurants we can make reservations at with view of the ball drop where we can eat and celebrate New Years that will be suitable for children?

5 replies to this topic
New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,466 posts
115 reviews
1. Re: New York, Times Square 2019

There are no restaurants with views of the ball drop that won't charge hundreds of dollars just to be there. Bubba Gump's comes to mind, but I don't know if they allow children.

But for children that young, especially the four year old, TBH I wouldn't bring youngsters anywhere near Times Square that evening. By some estimates 2 million people showed up last year. That may be an exaggeration, but even if 1 million showed up, can you imagine how hard it would be to keep track of your little one in a crowd that large? Not to mention that the kids won't see anything except other people's legs and waists and backs. Times Square on a regular day or night can be stressful for kids because of the crowds. On NYE I just wouldn't even consider it.

There are fireworks that take place in Central Park. You might want to look into having a meal in a restaurant on the Upper West Side (a very family-friendly area in NYC, most hotels in which are close to Central Park). Definitely less stressful than being in TS.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,466 posts
115 reviews
2. Re: New York, Times Square 2019

I just checked the Bubba Gumps website and it says no one under 21.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,466 posts
115 reviews
3. Re: New York, Times Square 2019

Wrote to Bubba's and the price is $989 per person this year, for a party that starts at 9 and ends at 2 a.m. You read that correctly: $989. Covers gratuity and taxes, food, drinks, including champagne at midnight, party hats and favors.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,335 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: New York, Times Square 2019

The New Victory Theater, a kids and family theater, always runs an acrobatics-type show most of December and that will suitable for your kids and I can tell you from personal experience that you'll enjoy it too. This year they are running "Circus Abyssinia" through Dec 30 and they are also showing "Boing!" for ages 2-5 through Dec 23 at the Duke Theater down the street. Both theaters ore right off Times Square on 42 st.

Details:

https://www.newvictory.org/Show-Detail…

https://www.newvictory.org/Show-Detail…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,146 posts
5. Re: New York, Times Square 2019

Times Square on New Year's Eve is not a place for small children. Period. The very few places that have live views of the ball drop do not allow under 21s since they are open bar parties.

The only thing that might be an option (althoughI suspect this is fully booked up) is a bedroom in the Marriott Marquis However, the few rooms with a view of the ball drop are about $3000 per night (yes, thousand) with a minimum of 3 nights. You can call them if interested.

I would go for a restaurant uptown and then a visit to Central Park for the fireworks if it's not too cold.

Reply to: New York, Times Square 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted