We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to New York and Washington

2 posts
First trip to New York and Washington

Hi Guys,

after 29 years of my life, I will finally go to NYC, the place I've been dreaming of. Will come on Nov 27th and will stay until Dec 4th. Will be travelling with my wife and my mom. We would like to see as much as possible, but I would also like to take my mom to Washington. What's the best way to go to Washington? I was thinking about spending 1 night there. What do you think? I also wanted to ask about some accommodation in NYC. Could anybody recommend some nice apartment, close to metro station? I'd like to stay in Queens or Brooklyn. We need something for 3 persons, nice, 100 USD / night max. All your help, suggestions, hints for NYC / Washington will be much appreciated. I guess NYC will be all about Xmas that time?

16 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: First trip to New York and Washington

You will not find accommodations in NYC with that budget. You will need to double it, at least. And short term rentals (apartments) are largely illegal in New York City, so you need a hotel room.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,334 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: First trip to New York and Washington

AMTRAK is the best way to get to DC. If you buy in advance it's cheaper but their cheapest fares sell out fast. One night in DC is a minimum there's so much to see there

You don't say where you're from. If you do DC at the end of your trip just fly home from there

Your price of 100/USD per night is completely unrealistic but I will let others opine on that

3. Re: First trip to New York and Washington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 October 2018, 00:18
Edited: 10 October 2018, 00:18

2 posts
4. Re: First trip to New York and Washington

Hi, thanks. I checked some Airbnb appartments and approx 120 per night was pretty common. But I only checked if briefly. Do you think those are in dangerous areas?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: First trip to New York and Washington

AirBNB is itself dangerous - in NYC it is a rogue platform full of illegal apartments, which are constantly getting sued or run out of business. Hugely controversial company in NYC and basically at war with the city.

Level Contributor
205 posts
6. Re: First trip to New York and Washington

Amtrak is the best way to get to DC.

$100 budget is not enough money for a Rental (Which could be illegal) and a hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
91 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: First trip to New York and Washington

You will be able to find hotels for under $100USD/night on the New Jersey side of the river, which means that you should try to be as close as possible to a PATH train, NJ Transit station or bus line. Download the NJtransit app and do some homework about convenient public transportation routes that take you into the city.

DC is a wonderful place to visit with many, many free world class museums, monuments and neighborhoods to explore. I would seriously consider spending at least 2 nights there. Since you seem to be very cost conscious, you would probably do well on the bus, which is about 1 to 1.5 hours longer in duration than the train, which can get quite expensive, especially since your travel dates are less than two months away. Check out Megabus, Bolt Bus, Peter Pan Bus and Greyhound. You may find even cheaper fares using one of the Chinatown buses; however, since I have never used one, I cannot recommend it.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
630 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: First trip to New York and Washington

If you're on a tight budget, you can take a bus to DC. Depending on traffic, a bus could take from 4-6 hours (occasionally more but that is rare). Amtrak is about 3.5 hours.

Edit: crossposted with the above

Edited: 10 October 2018, 00:27
Level Contributor
205 posts
9. Re: First trip to New York and Washington

Disagree with #5. Airbnb isn't dangerous In NYC. Even though most apartment listings are illegal it's probably the most secure site when booking.

There is a risk you could get kicked out midstay or have a Host cancel on you before you arrive but that doesn't stop people from booking hundred of apartments each day.

But do whatever you want and whatever you think is the best option for yourself.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
10. Re: First trip to New York and Washington

Besides the fact that short-term sublets are illegal, that the city is cracking down on them and that legal tenants are becoming activists and reporting people that sublet illegally (and you could be removed for trespassing, which is perfectly possible) there are apartments for rent but I would suggest that ones for 3 people for $100 per night are probably either very far (as in an hour or more) from Manhattan or in an unsafe or unpleasant neighborhood.

Sorry - but your dates are very expensive and I think to get a safe/decent hotel you need to allow at least $250 per night - or else go so far into NJ that daily transit costs will eat up a big part of your budget.

Reply to: First trip to New York and Washington
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted