We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multi City Breaks incl New York

Wrexham, United...
1 post
1 review
Multi City Breaks incl New York

Hi everyone, I'm sure this question has been asked many times before....but i'm looking at booking a surprise holiday for my Husband's 40th Birthday next year and New York is top of his list of cities he'd like to visit. Whilst we're in that part of the world I thought we should make the most of it and visit a couple of other cities - I was looking at Vegas but does anybody have any recommendations of must-do cities and also excursions / places to see? We have two young children who will be staying at home with relatives so will only have 7 days to cram as much in as possible.

Thankyou in advance for any recommendations x

13 replies to this topic
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,685 posts
1. Re: Multi City Breaks incl New York

Is this a first visit for one or both of you?

With only 7 days you'll be spending a fair amount of time traveling to anyplace towards the west like Las Vegas. Flying is the only practical option and traveling will take up pretty much half a day each way. Have you looked a distances on a map and travel times?

For closer cities you can get to Boston or Philadelphia/Baltimore/DC by Amtrak train

With so little time you could look at something like flying into NYC traveling by Amtrak and departing from either DC or Boston.

Before you consider doing a second city at all, I'd see how full your wish list for NYC is

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
217 reviews
2. Re: Multi City Breaks incl New York

You could do Vegas, but would need to plan in travel time as the flight is 4-5 hours (?) You’d need to figure in time coming and going, time difference and the cost of the flights.

Easier side trips are DC, Philadelphia and Boston, which are closer and don’t require flying.

Boston...
Level Contributor
23,005 posts
729 reviews
3. Re: Multi City Breaks incl New York

With only 7 days you could just do nyc and not run out of things to do.

Or if you want to add on, Washington DC or Boston would make more sense to me. Closer, so you can bus or train, and lots of history and soul than a place like Vegas.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
86 reviews
4. Re: Multi City Breaks incl New York

Boston and Philadelphia have some similarities to me and I would not visit both in your limited time. As mentioned, Philadelphia is about 1.5 hours by train and Washington 3.5 hrs. Baltimore is not that great of an attraction despite the aquarium. Both Philadelphia and Washington have rather different looks than NYC.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18,222 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Multi City Breaks incl New York

You might also want to post this on the Road Trips forum as they are the experts in multicity travel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,112 posts
6. Re: Multi City Breaks incl New York

But definitely be prepared to tell them what your interests are and what time of year you will be traveling. (If you're coming in the summer LV often has temps over 100 degrees and it sits in the middle of a desert.)

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,334 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Multi City Breaks incl New York

The only way you could do Vegas is if you fly home from there, but that is possible. When you fly from NYC to Vegas you gain 3 hours and if you get a flight from NYC at around 8:30 AM you will arrive there around 11:00 AM which means you have the entire day. So if you fly back from there you can do it. I would plan on spending 2 nights in vegas max unless you guys like to gamble in which case more would not be unreasonable.

NYC and LV are as different as different can be.

If you don't do Vegas then Philly would be my choice because it's only 90 min away by train. You might still want to fly home there, by the way.

I agree with others that Baltimore is not worth the trip and that for your purposes, Boston and Philly are too similar to do both

Edited: 06 October 2018, 00:01
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,334 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Multi City Breaks incl New York

One other thing, Philly is all about seeing US History so if that's not an interest, don't bother. For us Americans, seeing 18th and 19th century neighborhoods is a real treat, not so much for you Brits

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
9. Re: Multi City Breaks incl New York

Las Vegas and NYC are not in the same part of the world - it involves a flight and time change. Depends on your interests - LV people love or hate, I am a hater and on such a short trip would consider that a poor choice unless you are v into gambling and "adult" entertainment. For a short flight Miami maybe, or the Caribbean, US VI without more passport hassle, BVI Puerto Rico is the easiest from NY, or Miami. Advantage is they have the warm climate, the beaches, a difference from a big city getaway. Otherwise you need to think of your interests and there are many close by cities to NYC that are great like Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, a resort in upstate NY or a small town up the metronorth rail line.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
845 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Multi City Breaks incl New York

LivesinNewJersey, Philadelphia is not just about history. For museum lovers, it is the home of the incomparable Barnes Foundation as well as the Rodin Museum and the Philadelphia Art Museum! The Barnes, IMHO, is worth a trip in and of itself, but only if you love art as I do!

Reply to: Multi City Breaks incl New York
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted