We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hour JFK layover

CA
Level Contributor
520 posts
115 reviews
8 hour JFK layover

I arrive in the morning, and am trying to get to Manhattan for the day, then back. Is that possible by public transportation? How would I do that? Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,632 posts
659 reviews
1. Re: 8 hour JFK layover

What hours to what hours? What you want to do in your time frame?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
2. Re: 8 hour JFK layover

And will you have luggage?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: 8 hour JFK layover

Does your 8 hour layover include time needed for security and checking back in with adequate buffer for next flight?

Edited: 13 June 2018, 10:48
CA
Level Contributor
520 posts
115 reviews
4. Re: 8 hour JFK layover

I will have a backpack I hope to leave at luggage storage somewhere. We only need one hour check in as going to San Diego. We just want to wander time square area and go in the little stores. We have been there once before but not from JFK.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: 8 hour JFK layover

It's easy enough. Leave your bag at the luggage storage in the Terminal 4 arrivals area. Take the AirTrain to Jamaica and the LIRR train to Penn Station; it's faster than the subway. That puts you an interesting half-mile walk from Times Square - go over to Sixth Avenue and up Broadway to see the good shopping along 34th Street. Walk north and eventually get on the E subway train to Jamaica to return to the airport, for instance from 53rd Street and 7th Avenue.

Stores in Times Square tend to be ripoffs, so don't shop in them - especially electronics stores.

CA
Level Contributor
520 posts
115 reviews
6. Re: 8 hour JFK layover

Thank you, perfect! We are only looking at inexpensive tops and purses. How long would that round trip take?

New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,109 posts
115 reviews
7. Re: 8 hour JFK layover

Count on 1 hour and 15 minutes via subway, less via the LIRR.

Put your coordinates in here and check "rail" and it should give you the LIRR schedule.

…mta.info/MyTrip/…tripplanner.aspx

Edited: 13 June 2018, 20:34
CA
Level Contributor
520 posts
115 reviews
8. Re: 8 hour JFK layover

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
9. Re: 8 hour JFK layover

That time is in each direction - not round trip - for that you need to allow 2.5 hours. And arriving at a terminal 1 hour before flight is not nearly enough - you could still be in the security line when the plane take off. it should be 2 hours for domestic and 3 hours for international flights.

Reply to: 8 hour JFK layover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted