We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother Daughter Trip 7/5-7/9

Augusta, Maine
Level Contributor
219 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Mother Daughter Trip 7/5-7/9

My daughter and I will be staying at the Warwick from 7/5-7/9 for her 15th birthday. My daughter doesn't want to do most of the traditional tourist activities besides walk the Brooklyn Bridge. She is interested in just taking it all in and thrift store shopping. She wants to go out for Mexican (Americanized version), Thai food and an Irish Pub. The only thing I have planned is our transportation and our hotel. Any recommendations on where to take her shopping. Is there anywhere over the Brooklyn Bridge that we should go to? Neither of us have ever been besides just driving thru the city once.

Mentioned in this post
Warwick New York
Warwick New York
4,645 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
17,407 Reviews
New York City, NY
8 replies to this topic
Southern NJ
Level Contributor
988 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother Daughter Trip 7/5-7/9

Check out a number of restaurants near the base of the bridge near the river. Something else is the DUMBO view near the bridge. You can check it out on the TripAdvisor website.

Mentioned in this post
Dumbo
Dumbo
2,022 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother Daughter Trip 7/5-7/9

On Sunday the Brooklyn Flea is in Dumbo. Lots of Vintage items there. Fun atmosphere. Our teen girls loved wandering through the flea. Food trucks and food stalls too. You can take the subway over explore the DUMBO area go to the flea then walk the Bridge back to Manhattan taking in the views.

There was a trip report a while back that mentioned a vintage shopping tour with free tours by foot but I don’t know what days that is offered.

Toloache and Tacuba are often mentioned here for Mexican.

Our girls also loved the Bleecker / Christopher Street area in the Village. Johns or Keste for pizza. There is a Milk bar there as well as big gay icecream and further down Molly’s cupcakes

Mentioned in this post
The Brooklyn
The Brooklyn
304 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Dumbo
Dumbo
2,022 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Toloache
Toloache
1,777 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother Daughter Trip 7/5-7/9

My son is an avid shopper and loves thrifting at various L Trains. There are a bunch around the city. He does most of his thrifting in the East Village, Bushwick, Williamsburg and Park Slope. Pick an area and go from store to store. The East Village can be a good place to start for visitors since there are a bunch close together. I assume they all have a social media presence, so your daughter could probably choose which ones appeal to her or just walk from place to place.

One other spot that isn't so well known is the basement at St. Luke's Church. https:/… I don't know if they will be re-open when you are here, but there are some amazing finds.

Mentioned in this post
East Village
East Village
103 Reviews
New York City, NY
Williamsburg
Williamsburg
1,459 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Park Slope
Park Slope
464 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother Daughter Trip 7/5-7/9

google "best consignment stores nyc" and you will get tons of lists. There are a bunch on or just off of First Avenue in the 10th - 11th St area, up and down. INA is the best one, several branches.

For example:

…cbslocal.com/2017/…

atlanta
Level Contributor
297 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother Daughter Trip 7/5-7/9

My teen daughter and I love Toloache for Mexican; Rubirosa for pizza. Sarabeth's for brunch.

Mentioned in this post
Toloache
Toloache
1,777 Reviews
New York City, NY
Rubirosa
Rubirosa
1,026 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother Daughter Trip 7/5-7/9

East Village is a great location for consignment shops/vintage stores. Lots of fun food too. That area has a student vibe due to NYU. Also explore Greenwich Village.

Mentioned in this post
East Village
East Village
103 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,514 Reviews
New York City, NY
Augusta, Maine
Level Contributor
219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother Daughter Trip 7/5-7/9

Thank you for the recommendations!! Very excited!!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,628 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother Daughter Trip 7/5-7/9

If you happen to be nearby, pop into any of the Housing Works Thrift shops https://www.housingworks.org/businesses

Their bookstore/café is a nice place for a snack break.

Reply to: Mother Daughter Trip 7/5-7/9
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted