We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Central Station/Terminal

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
615 posts
18 reviews
Grand Central Station/Terminal

Finalizing our must-see list and GCS is on the "maybe" list... Hoping you all can help me on deciding by sharing with me what you consider to be highlights of visiting? Is it merely to "see" the architecture? I'll have two girls in tow - 20 & 16 and wondering if this shouldn't be missed. I've read the TA page dedicated to the Station - just wonder if I'm missing anything because mostly I read that it's pretty and a nice walk through - so does it come down to going there if you have business (like catching a train) or is there something beyond that? Thank you all.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,292 Reviews
from US$ 89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$ 175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
555 Reviews
from US$ 34.00*
12 replies to this topic
Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Grand Central Station/Terminal

We downloaded a $5 app from the App Store that gave a 1.5-hour guided audio tour of the terminal with lots of things you would miss if you just went to look around on your own. There's a 45-minute "express" tour included with the app if you don't want to do the full 1.5 hours. I think there's also a free guided tour once or twice a week.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,708 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Grand Central Station/Terminal

It’s an impressive sight.

It sounds like you’re not particularly interested in it. Nothing wrong with that.

So. If you’re in the area, stick your head in for 5 minutes and see if it interests you enough to further explore.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,300 posts
3. Re: Grand Central Station/Terminal

You'll want to see the main area and you might want to check out the Whispering gallery on the lower level.

You can take a guided tour or rent/download an audio tour https://www.grandcentralterminal.com/tours/

There are some shops and food places (sit down, fast food and take way) that are worthwhile as well https:/…

(Technically it's a terminal not a station because all the commuter trains start and end there.)

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
86 reviews
4. Re: Grand Central Station/Terminal

Grand Central Station was the post office "behind" the terminal on Lexington Ave.

The main features of the terminal are the sky ceiling, the use of ramps instead of stairs, Guastavino tile vaulting especially in the Oyster Bar, the former waiting room on 42nd St., and the walk thru double windows. What is not obvious is the extensive real estate development over the former rail yard now covered by Park Ave. Connecting to the the terminal is the Graybar Building on Lexington Ave. whose facade has an entrance canopy decorated with rats. Nearby is the famous Chrysler Building and across 42nd St., the lesser known Chanin Building, both Art Deco wonders.

www.deadprogrammer.com/graybar-building

steverosenbach.com/blog/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Grand Central Station/Terminal

You could spend 20 minutes walking through grand central station and snap some pictures. Its been in soo many films that it can be fun to see for that reason alone. I think its worth it since it doesn't take much time. Five minutes walk away is the NY public library and bryant park. 10 minutes walk to empire state building, so unless you are skipping all that stuff the chances are you will be near it at some point.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Grand Central Station/Terminal

Just one extra point. Don't go during the rush hour. Its an extremely busy station and people have places they need to get to and from. During the other parts of the day there is a lot more space and you would have more opportunities to line up the photos you want etc.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
115 reviews
7. Re: Grand Central Station/Terminal

I usually don't recommend something to "tick off a box," but Grand Central is definitely worth experiencing just to tick off a box. Try not to come during the worst part of rush hours, though (7:30-9:00 in the morning, 5:-00-7:00 in the evening). The space is quite beautiful, and has some wonderful little food shops, restaurants, gift shops, a wonderful magazine store, wine shop, stationery/gift shop. While not cheap, you can find exquisite wrapping papers and cards there. A branch of the Transit Museum is there (more like a gift shop, but cool). Great coffee and baked goods from Zarro's, fancy luggage Tumi is there, and so are chains like L'Occitane en Provence, Shake Shake, Dishes. Everyone should experience it once, just for the people watching. Everyone meets at the Information desk (four-sided clock in the middle of the floor). It's very beloved in NYC. We don't have much in the way of glorious Beaux-Arts architecture in NYC compared to many other great cities, so it is treasured.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
115 reviews
8. Re: Grand Central Station/Terminal

Sorry, red, about x-posting re rush hour!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Grand Central Station/Terminal

No trip for me is complete without lunch in the Grand Central food concourse. One of my favorite people watching spots in the city.

Level Contributor
843 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: Grand Central Station/Terminal

I think your rating system makes sense. It is a maybe, worth a visit but still a maybe. So it all depends on what and where are you other choices. Does a visit to the terminal fit into your schedule? It can be a quick visit. The architecture is the main feature, and if you love fish, clams, oysters and rice pudding, the Oyster Bar is a great place for lunch or dinner. I understand the advice to avoid rush hour, but my contrarian view is that rush hour generates energy, is a real part of the NY experience and unlike rush hour traffic or jammed subway cars, is not unpleasant.

Reply to: Grand Central Station/Terminal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted