We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper restaurants

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Cheaper restaurants

Please can anyone recommend any cheaper restaurants for dinner? I seem to only be finding places which are $20 each (excluding tax & tip) - is this the norm? Any places for $10-20 each (exc tax & tip)?

We are staying in Chelsea but happy to travel around Manhattan. We prefer Italian food, burgers, Mexican food, not too fussy but one of us is pescatarian.

Thank you!

10 replies to this topic
Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
869 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Cheaper restaurants

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-cheap-eats-nyc

There are loads of places you can get cheap eats, don't restrict yourself to Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn are great to explore too! Chinatown has some great deals.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Cheaper restaurants

Thank you!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,318 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Cheaper restaurants

If you will eat Indian food, lunches in Curry Hill are very reasonable. Curry Hill near the Flatiron area in the 20s along Lexington Ave. Google "curry hill nyc" for details. Dinners are more expensive but still quite reasonable

The nearby Sophie's for Cuban and "Flats Fixed" on 23rd are also very reasonable

Edited: 11 June 2018, 18:33
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: Cheaper restaurants

It depends what you want to it. I am suspect of say, sushi restaurants that are too inexpensive. Sushi is one thing I will never skimp on, it needs to be very fresh in a place where the sushi chefs are skilled in the treatment of raw fish. If I can't afford a top place, then I skip sushi (although there is a new chain from California with less expensive sushi that is supposed to be safe and good. Haven't gotten around to it yet. It's called Sugarfish.). I would be cautious (if I ate meat, which I don't) about inexpensive meat entrees too.

There are plenty of restaurants where pasta dishes are in the $10-20 range that are good, thousands, probably. Same with most kinds of Asian food (beware of fish, though. I wouldn't do it.). If you have a location, please post.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 19:16
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Cheaper restaurants

Manhattan Chinatown has low priced restaurants. Try restaurants with good ratings on yelp.com that you can order at the counter without tableservice this keeps the total bill down. Such as Ottos tacos, or bao haus. Get out of midtown if that’s where your staying and travel further downtown - south .

A link from time out cheap eats

https:/…best-cheap-eats-in-nyc

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
630 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Cheaper restaurants

Download the Yelp app and search for restaurants near you that are 1 or 2 dollar signs.

Good cheap food is hardest to find in midtown, though there is 9th Ave with Thai food, etc.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 19:46
Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Cheaper restaurants

I found this YouTube Challenge where a guy (Prez) goes all over town trying to find the best meals for under $5. While I haven’t been to NYC since this find, I plan to try a couple of these restaurants on our trip in July! It might be worth a look for you.

Here’s one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5KcL68iun_o

Edited: 11 June 2018, 20:03
Essex, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Cheaper restaurants

Thank you all SO much - really, really helpful!! We will be out and about constantly so that's why I've not mentioned a particular area. I've planned my days into sections of Manhattan so we will pass most areas at some point!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,422 posts
115 reviews
9. Re: Cheaper restaurants

All over the city, you can also find cheaper meals at delis with steam tables/salad bars. I would look at the food carefully and make sure it looks very fresh. Smiler's in midtown (Madison & 54th) comes to mind.

If your accommodation has a fridge, purchase food at grocery stores, or do take-out and have leftovers.

You might want to look at our local foodie Ziggy's blog. www.eatingwithZiggy.com

Or, even take a food tour with him.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
75 reviews
10. Re: Cheaper restaurants

Good Sushi/Japanese is going to be very tight at the OP's budget. The Lobster Place in Chelsea Market is a possibility where you can get a small sampling of it, but I'd be wary in most places.

While I have not been to Sugarfish either, their minimum Omakase (which is what they serve) is around $35++

Reply to: Cheaper restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted