We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Dinner Recommendation

New Jersey
Level Contributor
351 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary Dinner Recommendation

Hi all- I’m celebrating my25th Anninversary and could use some local help in coming up w something special- I was think8ng of Avra either location. I’ve never been and heard great things. I’m open to all suggestions just want to stay in Manhattan- budget is not a factor. My hubby works in the village but not limited to area. We live in NJ. Our favorite cuisine is Italian but looking for special.

Ideas please👍🍾 also date is June 27th Wed night😍

13 replies to this topic
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,037 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Dinner Recommendation

Budget/entrée?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Dinner Recommendation

Avra is delicious, but pricey and very much a scene. If that works for you, you will enjoy it. The zucchini chips are delicious.

If you want something new and fun, try the Lobster Club (if you can get a rez).

In the Village, I love Dell Anima, it's my favorite Italian. In Tribeca, my favorite Italian is Tutto il Giorno.

My all time favorite romantic dinner is Peasant. Food, service, and wine. It wins.

Mentioned in this post
TriBeCa
TriBeCa
266 Reviews
New York City, NY
Peasant
Peasant
336 Reviews
New York City, NY
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,900 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Dinner Recommendation

Marea. Italian seafood.

I really like their prix fixe dinner. That's their recommendation there. You get 4 courses each and the servings are very generous at each course. Delicious food and kind of upmarket yet happy vibe. It's got 2 Michelin stars and well worth it imo.

http://www.marea-nyc.com

New Jersey
Level Contributor
351 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Dinner Recommendation

Wow- some great options here- thank you. I will look at the menus and decide. The Italian choices in the village and tribeca sound great

Level Contributor
624 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Dinner Recommendation

I love Avra, but it is not romantic. Marea has a more romantic ambiance and a bigger price tag. Le Bernardin is the best seafood restaurant in NY and IMO better ambiance than Marea, but it is very pricey. BTW, nothing wrong with Avra’s ambiance. It just doesn’t strike me as special for an anniversary dinner. If that is not important to you, than Avra would be a great choice. There are a lot of restaurants with excellent food that don’t feature seafood, and those can be discussed if seafood is not an important component to you.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 05:34
Mentioned in this post
Le Bernardin
Le Bernardin
3,050 Reviews
New York City, NY
New Jersey
Level Contributor
351 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary Dinner Recommendation

As much as the reviews are great for Avra I don’t think it fits the bill for Anniversary- I would prefer not an all seafood menu. Something w a bit more ambiance

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,311 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary Dinner Recommendation

Daniel.

Per Se.

The River Cafe.

The bar at the Baccarat Hotel.

The Modern.

Mentioned in this post
Daniel
Daniel
2,944 Reviews
New York City, NY
Per Se
Per Se
1,629 Reviews
New York City, NY
The River Cafe
The River Cafe
3,511 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Baccarat Hotel Bar
Baccarat Hotel Bar
131 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Modern
The Modern
1,814 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary Dinner Recommendation

Personally, as good as they are, I'm not a fan of the over the top 5 star restaurants with the highest ratings for a romantic dinner, and especially prix fixe multi course dinners. I find that the constant interruption of the server coming to explain the food and wax rhapsodic to be intrusive to a "romantic" conversation. My idea of a romantic restaurant is a pretty setting, splurging on the wine, sharing some very good courses, and being left alone as much as possible (except when the water glasses are empty). What is your idea of romantic? You may get more helpful suggestions if you tell us what you like. (Glad we were able to describe Avra enough that you realized it's not the right place for this evening.)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,983 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary Dinner Recommendation

If I were to do an anniversary (and we have been celebrating ours in NYC from many years) and willing go to midtown, I'd go for the Pool Room of the Grill. Nice menu, glamorous room, impeccable service.

Through the years we have celebrated at Jean George, Le Grenouille, 11 Madison Park (in the era of Danny Meyer), NoMad, Blue Hill, Minetta Tavern, Il Cantinori. Sometimes we go alone, sometimes it's with the entire tribe (in ascending numbers as the years go by).

Now that we hardly go "up town" in the evenings, I am tending towards Scalini Fideli in Tribeca

Mentioned in this post
La Grenouille
La Grenouille
795 Reviews
New York City, NY
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
The NoMad Hotel
The NoMad Hotel
900 Reviews
New York City, NY
Blue Hill
Blue Hill
612 Reviews
New York City, NY
Minetta Tavern
Minetta Tavern
987 Reviews
New York City, NY
Il Cantinori
Il Cantinori
178 Reviews
New York City, NY
TriBeCa
TriBeCa
266 Reviews
New York City, NY
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,311 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary Dinner Recommendation

Oh yes, Jean George is a lovely idea. Ditto Eleven Madison Park and Minetta Tavern. I was a bit overwhelmed by the space that's now the Pool Room.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 07:00
Mentioned in this post
Eleven Madison Park
Eleven Madison Park
2,235 Reviews
New York City, NY
Minetta Tavern
Minetta Tavern
987 Reviews
New York City, NY
Reply to: Anniversary Dinner Recommendation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted