We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?

Fontainebleau...
Level Contributor
8 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?

I'm going to NYC with my mom, who is exactly 65 (already had bday), and I checked that she could be eligable for the reduced Metro-Card. Is she, while being a tourist really eligable? Does she need any proof other than passport?

11 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?

Really too much of a hassle(application, take pics at Metrocard location, 2 weeks to process) to bother.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,898 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?

For a reduced fare you must either fill out an application (you can do this in person at an office downtown - getting one by mail can take a long time) or do pay-as-you-go with cash by showing roof of age to a bus driver or booth attendant.

Info on both here: http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/rfindex.htm

Whether to spend the time and effort to get the card at the office or pay by cash is a personal decision. Be aware not all subway entrances have attended booths and you cannot get reduced fare from the machines without the special card.

The savings will be relatively modest in the context of your other trip expenses web.mta.info/nyct/fare/NewFareInformation.htm

Edited: 10 June 2018, 20:43
USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
15,922 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?

I agree with ter. Think about it like this; you're on vacation, how much are you really saving for the metro card, does it make that much of a difference?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,898 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?

Proof of age (not roof) - need more coffee.

The bottom line, will you spend/waste more than $16 worth of vacation time obtaining the card or making sure you have exact change in coins for the buses and seeking out subway entrances with attended booths?

Edited: 10 June 2018, 20:54
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?

Plus if you are staying for several days and using the subway often, a 7 day unlimited Metrocard is a great bargain at $32.

I know the reduced fare is $16, but it can be a pain to go through the application procedure.

You can save $16 just by eating a few lunches at the street vendors or visiting some great free attractions in the city.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 20:57
Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?

Some people are just nuts for discounts, if it makes them happy to spend their vacation hours pursuing small savings well...I was recently behind a group of French tourists visiting Hospicio Cabañas in Guadalajara, the awesome Orozco murals with a French language once per weekend day - they missed their language tour in order to save the equivalent of $5 USD for the group of 4. Really. Get a clue and a perspective!

Fontainebleau...
Level Contributor
8 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?

OK thanks! It actually seems like a loot of hussle, so probably won't bother with it, just as you said ;) Thanks for the info (roof of age made my day :D)

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,078 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?

If your mother wants a 7 day unlimited card, she needs to go to the MTA office on Stone Street and apply. It takes 15-20 minutes and they will do the photo and notarized statement. Not a big deal. Otherwise, she can go to a manned booth at subway stations, show her proof of age and get a 2 trip reduced Fare metrocard for $2.75 . She can also pay $1.35 on the NYC buses and get a transfer (to another bus not the subway). Its very easy to get the discount.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?

She can get the reduced fare on a bus by putting $1.35 in exact change (no pennies & no bills) in fare box and showing ID w proof of age if requested.

For the subway, you have to go to a station with a human attendant in a booth. She pays them $2.75 (no limit on bills or pennies), plus ID w/age, and they give one round-trip reduced fare metrocard. You can buy only one round-trip at a time and you cannot buy them from machines. So have to buy one at a time at a booth in an attended station.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,078 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?

Is there an echo in here?

Reply to: Metro-Card for Seniors - is any documents needed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted