We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in NYC

North Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
58 reviews
One day in NYC

We are going on a 2 week trip to the UK in 09/18. Our flight leaves JFK on a Saturday night at 9 pm at night. I was thinking of flying into JFK on the Friday evening the day before and stay at a JFK hotel. Can anyone provide thoughts if it is worthwhile to go into the city for 5 or 7 hours on Saturday and still get back to JFK by 7 pm for check-in to our flight? We would love to see Times Sq If possible and just bum around for a few hours before heading back to our hotel at JFK. (NO HOTEL picked out yet) to pick up our luggage and head to JFK for our flight over the pond. Thoughts or suggestion Thanks in advance!

8 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,512 posts
1. Re: One day in NYC

Well, first for an international flight you should get to the terminal by 6 pm. And I would not go back to the hotel to get your luggage - which will take a lot of time via the hotel's shuttle - perhaps wasting as much as an hour.

Better to take your luggage to the terminal (if you can check luggage in that early) or leave it at the JFK luggage check that trekking to and fro the hotel unless you want to waste a lot of time and/or money.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
2. Re: One day in NYC

I wouldn't want to stay at any airport hotel. Come in that Friday, as early as possible, and head to Manhattan for the night. Stay out late, get up early, take in as much as you can before heading to the airport. Nap on the plane.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: One day in NYC

Agree with Baxter 100%. Total waste of your Friday evening to sit out at an airport hotel while New York awaits! Get to your Manhattan hotel, drop your bags, and head out. There's still a lot you can do, depending on the time you get in. You can see Times Square lit up at night and/or head to the Empire State Building for example. Saturday morning, you can get started first thing as you will already be in Manhattan, and you can sight-see into the afternoon. (You can leave your bags at the hotel after you check out.) Then head to the airport in time for 6pm.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18,355 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: One day in NYC

Whatever you do, don't buy a ticket to anything in advance like the Statue of Liberty as you never know about flight delays. I will fully cop to never planning any kind of an airport layover as I don't trust the airlines to get me anywhere on time.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: One day in NYC

great feedback! Unfortunately we both work on Friday and are unable t leave North Carolina until 7 or 8 pm, thus not arriving JFK until 10 pm or so, thus why the hotel at JFK was my thought. I would have loved to stay in Manhattan but it does not seem to fit in my time schedule, as we would not arrive at a Manhattan hotel until very late. Friday is a late flight, and waiting for baggage and then getting a lift on Friday evening into Manhattan would likely not get me int a Manhattan hotel until well past midnight or much later. My wife was unable to get Friday off work or we would have left for NYC earlier on Friday.

Great point on checking bags early at the airport. We are flying business class to London and I am pretty sure that allows me to check bags early on Saturday morning, Then i can grab a taxi or Uber to Manhattan for 50-60 bucks i think.I also think the point about being at flight check in at 6 pm is great advice as well. So, I guess I will plan to check out of JFK hotel early Saturday morning, go to JFK, check bags, and then try to get a quick ride to Manhattan . Even if we can get there by noon and land get 4-5 hours, that will give us enough time to snoop around and see a bit of the city. We have no plans to visit anything specific, just walk around and see the people, the stores and the food. Heading back to JFK around 4:45 or 5 pm, should allow 60 to 75 minutes to get back to JFK I think I will should be ok, or should I plan longer? My flight to LON leaves at 9pm.

I appreciate the great tips so far and they all make sense.. I just have to see what we can do. I am flying back on 9/21 from Dublin to Boston. I think I will check to see if I can change my return flight to JFK and hit NYC for the weekend when we return. Thanks to all and any more tips are most welcome!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
1,05,203 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: One day in NYC

Staying at the airport, whatever you decide, is not a great idea. It's an hour trip at least into Manhattan and there,s virtually nothing around the airport. You,re stuck at the hotel. The logistics of having to go back to pick up your bags will waste time and even dropping bags at the airport will waste time. The ONLY reason to stay at an airport hotel is if you arrive at night and leave the next morning. That said, Sept. is REALLY expensive in hotels in Manhattan.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: One day in NYC

nywhiz, thanks! Strong points to consider. looks like i need to research specific flights and timeframe so I can make a more informed decision about trecking into Manhattan at night.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
354 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: One day in NYC

Whatever time your flight arrives on Friday night, it makes the most sense to cab it into Manhattan and stay at a hotel there to maximize the time you have. I agree with nywhiz, the whole backtracking to drop off your luggage at the airport or pick up your luggage at an airport hotel is a waste of time, and you're not really gaining anything by staying at an airport hotel, other than it will probably be cheaper. It's no more difficult cabbing into the city the night before with luggage versus the next morning without luggage.

Reply to: One day in NYC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted