We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School of Rock - specific questions

R G
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
School of Rock - specific questions

Hi - so my kids have announced they want to see SoR when we visit NYC next month. If I go direct to the theatre's website, it's suggesting around $600 for a family of 4 to see the show on a Sunday in July (eek), in premium seats. There are cheaper seats available but with a restricted view.

My questions are -

1. I have the TKTS app which sometimes shows SoR as 50% off, and sometimes not. Is this reliable, and does TKTS only limit you to the day of the performance?

2. Are there alternative "good" (ie legit!) websites to look at for tickets?

3. If a seat is "restricted", what does that mean? Does it mean you're behind a pillar?

4. Are there any "top tips" to get 4 tickets at a reasonable price for a Sunday?

5. Can you take your own drinks into the theatre? I note other reviewers are warning about the high cost of interval drinks.

Thanks in advance. :)

8 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
21,848 posts
689 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School of Rock - specific questions

Telecharge is the official ticket seller. If you are elsewhere you aren't on the official site.

TKTS does have it sometimes, but not always. You can buy same day in Times Square, the day before at other locations

Broadwaybox.com, theatermania.com, playbill.com have safe DISCOUNT sections to look for tickets at. Don't buy full price tickets from them unless they direct you to Telecharge.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
148 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School of Rock - specific questions

We are in NYC now and went to Tkts yesterday. We queued from 2:40 and it took an hour to get them. It was busy and I suggest getting there at 2:30 as at 3pm they open the booths for the evening shows.

I was unsure if we’d get tickets to see Jersey Boys but we did.

Tickets were good and only 6 rows back.

Not sure if a small bottle of water would be allowed as all bags at checked.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School of Rock - specific questions

School of Rock almost always has discount codes available about a month out via BroadwayBox.com. The link there will take yo to Telecharge Offers, a branch of their official seller.

I got two front row side orchestra seats there last November for $109 each. Don't wait on or depend on TKTS.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,894 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School of Rock - specific questions

If you sign up for the e-mail list on Broadway Box & the free discount clubs at Playbill & TheaterMania, you'll get an alert when discounts are published. Sorry but I looked at the show's website & there is no info on bringing drinks into the theater. I'd contact them & ask what their policy is as it varies from theater to theater.

As for restricted or limited view seats, sometimes you can't see the whole stage but sometimes they're just protecting themselves against complaints. I don't book tickets on the far front sides of the orchestra as sometimes the stage set restricts you view.

MN
Level Contributor
83 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School of Rock - specific questions

I found tickets for as little as $59 on Broadway Box last winter. It was a restricted view seat, which was on the side. There was maybe about 5 seconds of dialogue where I couldn't see the actors.

It's a wonderful show! Hope it works out for you.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School of Rock - specific questions

Hi there,

We’re just back from a 5 night break. Like you we were desperate to see school of rock and once we saw the queue at the tkts we thought there’s no way we can stand in that. We went to the school of rock Box office and booked 4 matinee tickets for the following day performance on the Saturday for €79 each in the orchestra. We had amazing seats in the middle on the last row - it’s a really tiny theatre so any seat in the orchestra section is amazing - they also provide booster seats for little ones. We didn’t take any food or drink in as the show itself was just over 2 hours 20 mins. My children are 7 and 10 and had the most amazing time. Feel free to message me for any further information.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 19:12
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,894 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School of Rock - specific questions

Also, if you don't want to stand on line at the TKTS line, you could take the discount code from one of the 3 sites above to the box office & they should give you the discount without a service charge but the earlier you use the discount the better the seat selection. It is possible that the discount code (which is for a select block of seats) will be sold out if you wait until you get to the city.

R G
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: School of Rock - specific questions

Wow, these are really helpful! Thank you :)

Reply to: School of Rock - specific questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted