We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel by car from Boston to NYC

San Antonio, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel by car from Boston to NYC

My sister, niece and I will be in Boston for a convention. On Sunday we are wanting to drive towards NYC then catch a subway or train into the city to see Times Square, Staten Island Ferry to see Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial. What is the best place to park outside the city that we can catch subway or train or something else into the city? I have looked at all kinds of websites, books, travel guides and I just get confused and have no idea where anything is and what to take. Best route from Boston too please.

Thank you for your help.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,239 Reviews
from US$ 89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$ 175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
550 Reviews
from US$ 34.00*
22 replies to this topic
New York City
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel by car from Boston to NYC

The best route from Boston to NY is i-90 to I-84 to I684

I would park at New Rochelle Metro North Station

If you can avoid I-95 do so at all costs, but if you somehow get stuck on it, I-95 does go between Boston and NY,.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel by car from Boston to NYC

I take ^^^ that route or the Merritt Parkway. I love windy roads. But I also recommend checking WAZE. I'm driving up to Boston on Friday, back on Sunday. Will report back on what route I take on Friday.

New York City
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel by car from Boston to NYC

I take the Merritt parkway myself, but I know the route, for an out of towner, Interstates are always the best way to go.

My Last trip to Boston last Labor Day Weekend, I took I-95 up (I wanted to stop in Foxboro) and I took The I-90 route back

Level Contributor
789 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel by car from Boston to NYC

Where are you going after you leave NY and get your car?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,041 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel by car from Boston to NYC

That is a lot to do when you are driving from and back to Boston in one day. Have you checked driving times as well as when rush hours are? My best time is 4 hours from the upper west side (so right next to a parkway) but with traffic it can be 5 hours drive each way.

Boston...
Level Contributor
21,644 posts
687 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel by car from Boston to NYC

Down and back in one day is really tough. Down and back and parking outside the city and taking transit is even tougher due to the extra time. If you really want to do this in one day, drive into the city and pay the $50 or so it will cost you to park.

San Antonio, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel by car from Boston to NYC

Thanks

San Antonio, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel by car from Boston to NYC

Back to Boston. We fly into Boston on Sat, want to go to NYC on Sunday then back to Boston Sunday night to attend seminars then back to Texas on Thursday.

New York City
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel by car from Boston to NYC

The Northeast isnt Texas, you cant drive as fast here as you can in Texas, there are just too many cars (Of course there are people who swerve in and out of traffic and cut everyone off, but most people dont) you really cant do faster than about 70 in the Northeast and its ALOT slower in the Boston and NYC area

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel by car from Boston to NYC

I agree with #6. Coordinating parking and timing of trains is adding more time and angst. Drive down the West Side Highway, park near 10th and 42nd. See Times Square, subway down to Fulton Street, see the 9/11 Memorial, walk around the area, if the weather is good, go through Brookfield Place or walk to Battery Park and look out at SoL (will you have time for a ferry to Staten Island and back? That's up to you.) Take the train up to the Meatpacking District/Chelsea Market (and load up on car snacks), eat something and walk the High Line up to 34th. Then maybe Empire State Building.

When you're tired, you can get back in your car and go back to Boston.

Reply to: Travel by car from Boston to NYC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted