We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC in the Fall

DeLand, Florida
6 posts
Save Topic
NYC in the Fall

Want to see Central Park in all its Fall glory. Looking at October but, historically speaking, when would be the best week in Fall to plan our trip?

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
1,15,348 Reviews
New York City, NY
9 replies to this topic
New York City
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC in the Fall

Central Park is best to see in Colors about the First - Second week in November

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
1,15,348 Reviews
New York City, NY
London, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC in the Fall

We were in NYC for Halloween a couple of years ago and some trees were colouring up nicely but there were also many which were still green so that year would definitely have been better early November.

I absolutely loved the view over the park from the rooftop terrace at the MET Museum, it was still very colourful.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,602 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC in the Fall

Central Park turns later than other areas in the region. It is slightly variable but 2nd week in Nov is a good bet.

As you consider dates, avoid the NY Marathon (Nov 4 in 2018). Hotel prices are extra high around that time Of course, if you have a healthy budget and have an interest in the Marathon, it is fun to watch.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
1,15,348 Reviews
New York City, NY
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
USA
Level Contributor
14,854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC in the Fall

Very late October into early November, but nothing is guaranteed.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,868 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC in the Fall

Even if only a small portion of the trees are turning it's still a stunning sight.

But I'd choose early to mid November for a better chance to see lots of it.

And if you're a little early, going on a day trip up the Hudson may mean you see a lot of fall colours. The train trip is easy and scenic. Maybe stop at Poughkeepsie (2 hours from Manhattan) for the Walkway Over the Hudson which means you can walk right into the forest-y areas on the other side of the bridge.

http://walkway.org

Mentioned in this post
Hudson Hotel New York
Hudson Hotel New York
7,166 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,052 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC in the Fall

Peak color can never be completely predicted, but I'd plan a trip for the second week of November.

Here is a public album of photos I've taken in the autumn -- you can check the dates on them to see when it was most colorful over the past several years:

https:/…72157631394062646

If you do end up here a bit early for peak Manhattan color, then I agree that going an hour or two upstate for a day is a good idea! :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,868 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC in the Fall

Lovely photos from Frangi.

Even late November can have gorgeous fall colours!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,052 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC in the Fall

Thanks, Aynat -- yes, I'd say late November is more likely to still have some autumn color (albeit past peak) than late October. Things are usually still quite green at Halloween, but even going up to the Cloisters or the Bronx Zoo will get you more late October color.

Thanksgiving this year is as early as it ever is -- November 22nd -- so there's a decent chance that we'll still have some lovely autumn colors over the holiday weekend!

Mentioned in this post
Bronx Zoo
Bronx Zoo
2,660 Reviews
Bronx, NY
DeLand, Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC in the Fall

Want to thank all who responded to my question. Such good information. Will be very helpful in planning. All pictures were amazing and will definitely try to incorporate the Hudson River Walkway into the trip. Thank you all again!

Mentioned in this post
Hudson River Hotel
Hudson River Hotel
710 Reviews
New York City, NY
Reply to: NYC in the Fall
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;