We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Kotzebue September and October

Memphis, Tennessee
5 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Kotzebue September and October

My husband and I have never been to Alaska and will be in Kotzebue for several weeks. What do we take for clothing for the weather and what can we do there? We are so excited but kind of lost!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,921 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Kotzebue September and October

So where are you staying in Kotzebue and what are you planning to do? It will be working on winter there very soon. :)

Memphis, Tennessee
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Kotzebue September and October

Not sure where we will be staying - our travel person is taking care of all that. My husband will b e working. Also, I would like to take my dog, but I would suppose that since it is coming on winter there, it would not be a great idea?

Thanks for your help.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Kotzebue September and October

I would not bring your dog since you don't know where you are staying and winter will be approaching. Kotzebue is a native village and most dogs run free and sometimes there are problems with some dogs. Friends that live there fly there dog to Znchorage for the Veteranarian, not sure if that's because there isn't one in Kotz or because they don't see the one that's there. It is a smallish town and easy to get around. There is a new Inupiat visitor center in town and the city hall sells some beautiful native art. The Korean restaurant on the water is very good. Maybe you could try to visit Nome while you are there.

Edited: 15 September 2010, 07:22
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Kotzebue September and October

It will be winter when you are there, so hats, gloves, boots and a winter coat will be needed. It is a very different environment, you may want to do some research and learn a bit about the Inupiat/Inupiaq people you will encounter.

Memphis, Tennessee
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Kotzebue September and October

Thank you so much for the information you have given me. I am really excited about the trip and will make other arrangements for my dog. The info about the clothing helps simplify my packing - just really warm stuff!

I will do some research into the Inupiat/Inupiaq people. Good suggestion.

Thanks again for your help.

Memphis, Tennessee
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Kotzebue September and October

I forgot to mention the information regarding restaurants. We will need to know where to go - from what I can see there is not much, but we have to eat! Thanks for the tip re Korean - we love K food. Any other suggestions?

Will my Verizon cell phone work up there?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Kotzebue September and October

Your cell phone should work, you will be roaming though. I have had really good pizza in Kotz but friends had it delivered so I am not sure of the restaurant, there can't be too many there. The Korean one faces the water and I think there is a pretty good burger/sandwich place in the hotel. Prices will be very expensive so prepared.

Memphis, Tennessee
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Kotzebue September and October

Thank you for the information! I really appreciate it.

9. Re: Travel to Kotzebue September and October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 11:51
Get answers to your questions about Kotzebue