We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended area for hotels

england
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended area for hotels

We are coming to San Diego for 10 nights at the end of May into early June on vacation. What area would you recommend us to stay. We like to be by the sea and would like to stay somewhere within walking distance of restaurants /bars /cafes if possible

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended area for hotels

I'd say that Pacific Beach, Coronado or La Jolla fits. It depends on what your nightly budget is and if you'll have a car. AND what you want to see and do while here. Our Downtown is on a Bay and has a Marina but no beach but if you won't have a car it's a good place to stay.

La Jolla would be good with a car but not so much without a car IF you want to do a lot of sight seeing.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended area for hotels

Hi jeff'n'sue

I agree that La Jolla would be a good place to stay, It's right on the ocean and whether you stay in "the village" or in "the Shores" you'll be within walking distance of restaurants, bars, and cafes.

There's lots to do in La Jolla. We have a harbor seal colony and sea lions and lots of pelicans right on the coast in the village. If you like active vacations, you could go kayaking in the Shores or hiking in Torrey Pines State Park. We also have lots of great places to just have a cuppa and gaze at the view. You can even sit on the beach in front of Mitt Romey's house and have a picnic.

If you let us know your budget, we can suggest some specific hotels or maybe a vacation rental.

Cheers,

Elizabeth Hansen

www.LaJollaTravelInformation.com

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended area for hotels

HI there,

I always ask if folks will have a rental car as some areas have more access to public transportation than others.

I would expect you to want to see some of the city's attractions and some of the surrounding county IF you have a car.

Otherwise you'd really need to stay in Coronado or some areas of Pacific Beach.

Let us know about the car and if you are a couple or a family??

I'd think that some sort of vacation rental would be best for a 10 day stay but you'll have to know what you prefer?

The areas mentioned already have different personalities/vibes.

Coronado is across the bay from downtown San Diego. It has a small town feel with a main street that has some shops/restaurants etc. and gorgeous beach!

You can reach downtown San Diego by bus/car over a short bridge or by passenger ferry or water taxi.

In downtown of course there are more bars/restaurants.

Pacific Beach has a more low key surfer feel.

There is a long pier with hotel cottages on it and a lovely beach with a cement sidewalk alongside that we call a "boardwalk". You can bike/skate/walk along there.

La Jolla is another neighborhood of the city of San Diego(as is Pac. Beach) just north of Pacific Beach. The area with the most upscale boutiques/art galleries/restaurants etc. is near La Jolla Cove where you'll find a series of small rock enclosed(cove) beaches with a grassy park above them. You can walk along and see seals and sea birds in their native environment.

One other area of La Jolla is L J Shores. This also has a wide white sandy beach with a park next to it but there are fewer rentals here and there's a few nice restaurants too. The 2 LJ areas are about 6min. apart by car.

england
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended area for hotels

Thanks for your replies. We aren't sure whether to have a hire car or not - thought maybe have one for a few days to get out and see some of the surrounding area but not for the whole time we are there. Which would be the best area to stay in without a car and can you recommend some hotels

thanks

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended area for hotels

Hi jeff'n'sue,

It will be easier to recommend hotels if you give us an idea of your budget.

Elizabeth Hansen

La Jolla, California

www.LaJollaTravelIformation.com

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended area for hotels

Without a car, I would pick the Pacific Beach area, lots to choose from, upscale is the Pacific Terrace, to the Quaint, the cottages on Crystal Pier, and lots in-between, as mentioned above, a price range and type of accomidation you are interested would be helpful.

http://www.pacificbeach.org/

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended area for hotels

If you are here for 10nights you might consider 2 different areas.

Perhaps stay downtown in one of the highrise hotels which give you access to our gaslamp entertainment district and public transportation to sights.

Then move to a more beachy sort of hotel in Pacific Beach.

IF you stay in Pacific Beach you can walk to low key bars/restaurants and then take buses if you want to go to other areas.

End of May beginning of June will NOT see high temps at our beaches!

I'd only expect sunny days to be in the low 70s and you'll often find cloudy overcast mornings at that time of year. We call it May Gray and June Gloom close to the ocean.

You'll have to give us an idea of your budget as those quaint cottages on the pier mentioned above are usually over $200 per night !

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended area for hotels

Just came across this thread, which has a list of all the different choices in the PB area, with losts of detail, worth checking out.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k509417…

england
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended area for hotels

Would the weather be better for the beach in September? We could change our dates to come then if it would be better. As far as budget goes we would probably be looking at $200 dollars per night but that depends on what you can get for that price

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended area for hotels

September is the best month for sunny/hot days!

UNfortunately it is also still summer pricing at the beaches.

Usually beachfront hotels are more than $200 per night but I cannot be sure that this summer will be the same.