We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fly or dive?

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
fly or dive?

We will be going on a tour of the National Parks.

The tour ends in Vegas and we would like to visit San diego for 2 or 3 days.

Should we drive or fly ?

Thank You

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fly or dive?

I'd dive it personally.

Give us more details, will you be renting a car anyway? When in the trip when you be visiting SD? Are you on a budget? etc...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,321 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fly or dive?

Hard to "dive" in the desert! (lol)

The drive takes 5 hrs.

The flight is quite short soooo it depends on which you would prefer.

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
651 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fly or dive?

I would say fly. You can usually get cheap one way fares between Vegas and San Diego on Southwest. The flight lasts about 45 min. The drive would be 5 to 6 hours depending on how heavy a foot you have and whether you stop food. Also most of the drive would be through desert and really quite boring.

Perth
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fly or dive?

Personally, I would never contemplate flying anywhere you could drive within 6 hours. Think about it...

- Typically 45 minutes to taxi from wherever you are to the airport

- Add 1 - 1.5 hours for checking in / buffer time / boarding the plane / waiting for take off

- 20 minutes to get off the plane and collect bags

- 45 minutes to get taxi from airport to hotel

And the view? Desert view still beats looking at yet another airplane's window

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fly or dive?

Grumpy...In San Diego and Las Vegas the airports are only about fifteen minutes from the downtown and after a couple ow wild nights in Las Vegas, it's hard to get a quick nap while driving home.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fly or dive?

Depending upon the day of the week, the airport in Vegas can be a zoo (I'm thinking Sunday's especially). All the cabs in town are headed to the airport and it's gridlock getting there. Security lines are very long.

My votes with grumpy. With all the buffer time you have to allow at airports these days (especially if you're checking bags) and then getting crammed into a metal tube, a nice 6 hour drive sounds like heaven.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fly or dive?

If you are driving to Vegas on a Friday or to SD from Vegas on a Sunday...then fly: the traffic is quite bad. Flying on Southwest is so cheap...I usually fly.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fly or dive?

I have to make this decision all the time. When going Vegas to SD, parking, check in , security, flight and drive home takes no more than 3-3.5 hours. Drive can be from 5 to 6 depending on traffic and if we need to stop. If the flights each way are $50 or so, than I ALWAYS pick the flight. Other wise we drive.

Other thing to think about is a car is really needed to see San Diego, so fly and get a cheap rental or take the drive.

9. Re: fly or dive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2010, 10:48