We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach and bay questions in the Coronado area

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach and bay questions in the Coronado area

I'll be traveling to Coronado over July 4th and I'm looking to find the best beaches or bays with calm waters for swimming with the little ones. From what I understand the Pacific can be a bit rough. Also, some recommendations for areas for nice evening walks with good restaurants and shops. I've heard Mission fits that bill and it's close to Coronado. A few "no miss" restaurants would also be helpful. Any input will be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Coronado
Coronado
California
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,058 Reviews
San Diego, CA
3 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,009 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach and bay questions in the Coronado area

Hi,

Most oceans have waves and are not places for really little ones to actually swim.

For little ones walking to the ocean with a parent and maybe wading and jumping in waves is more logical than trying to swim with them(IMO).

Pools and quiet bays are better for swimming.

On Coronado people go to the ocean. There is a tiny beach on the bayside facing downtown San Diego but I have not seen people actually swimming there.

Perhaps others would suggest that but I am not sure that I would.

"Mission"? There's a beach called Mission Beach which is also the ocean. There is a restaurant called The Mission for breakfast and there is Mission Bay which is probably what you have heard has quiet areas for the little ones.

Sadly I would not trying to drive to any beach usually on July 4 but since this year it is a week day)Wed.) you might find parking. Otherwise parking on that kind of holiday usually fills up by 9AM.

I'd just stay in Coronado and enjoy the local festivities and local beach.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
The Mission
The Mission
334 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Mission Bay Park
Mission Bay Park
508 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Coronado
Coronado
California
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach and bay questions in the Coronado area

I agree with Riff M. Stay in Coronado for the day. Glorietta Bay Park has a small sandy beach and a playground, so it is ideal for children. People do swim there, and there is some kayaking and other boating activity.

Keep in mind that July 4th will be very busy, even in the middle of the week, so you should plan to be at your site by 9-ish in the morning. Many people will stake out their spot with canopy tents and spend the entire day there.

Mentioned in this post
Coronado
Coronado
California
Glorietta Bay Inn
Glorietta Bay Inn
1,009 Reviews
Coronado, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,540 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach and bay questions in the Coronado area

The bay beaches are fine on Coronado, but I'd also look into going to the municipal pool. I am sure it is closed on the 4th itself, but the others days it will be open and it has a great area for little kids and it is reasonably warm. The ocean will still be very cold on July 4th.

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Coronado
Coronado
California
Reply to: Beach and bay questions in the Coronado area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted