We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia and Seaport Hotel problem

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Expedia and Seaport Hotel problem

I wanted to give anyone who booked a room at the Seaport Hotel through Expedia a heads-up.

I would have preferred to book a room closer to downtown, but Expedia advertised that the Seaport could accommodate a roll-away in a room with two doubles. We had trouble finding another hotel that could do this for our family of 5.

As it turned out, they could not put a roll away in a two double room due to fire codes. The woman at the desk was not very helpful when we pointed out that we had booked a room for 5 people. She talked to the manager who offered us an upgrade to a suite for $50 extra a night. We declined paying a total pf $300 extra for the six nights that we had already booked.

After a bit of arguing, the manager came out and tried to tell us that this wasn't his problem...that he can't control what is on the Expedia website. He got Expedia on the phone and after we all took turns talking to them, Expedia agreed that it was their mistake and paid for the upgraded room.

Since the problem was fixed to our satisfaction, I only thought to mention this here because the next day, I was passing through the lobby and heard another group of 5 (all adults) having the same argument at the desk.

Hope I have saved someone a headache on arrival!

Boston...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia and Seaport Hotel problem

It's not the first time I've heard expedia and similar sites doing this. Glad it worked out, the $50.00 upgrade was a deal and better that you didn't have to pay.

The seaport seemed helpful but I can see how you thought they were not at first.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia and Seaport Hotel problem

Sorry it was such a hassle for you, but glad it worked out. Whenever I book through a third-party I usually make a call directly to the hotel to double-check my reservation.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia and Seaport Hotel problem

Yes, when using a third party, calling to confirm makes sense. I've done this before, too. The Seaport is a very nice hotel. It's a bit out of the way, but not too bad, and that area is nice this time of year.Did you know that it's a non-tipping hotel?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,846 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expedia and Seaport Hotel problem

Thanks for sharing. It would never occur to me to question Expedia's max room designation, but now I know and will warn others as questions about hotels for larger groups arise.

It's good to know that the manager did, ultimately, go to bat for you, but it's unfortunate that you had to argue him into doing it.

Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Expedia and Seaport Hotel problem

Hi, I have had a similar problem at another Boston hotel booked through Expedia for our upcoming October trip. Expedia had given me the option of a Queen bed room for 3 of us so I assumed there would be a rollaway added.

Fortunately for me I checked the booking with the hotel a couple of weeks ago, and also fortunately they can put a rollaway in. Unfortunatel,y it is going to cost me an extra $20.00 a night on top of what i have paid Expedia, thinking I had paid in full.

BUT on the same trip I have had the same problem with a hotel booked directly in New York. On checking that booking, they cannot put a rollaway in, and I have had to lose the great rate I got booking months ago in a special promotion.

I had assumed it was just my inexperience booking hotels online. But certainly I would agree with always check you are getting exactly what you think you have booked.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expedia and Seaport Hotel problem

A general rule of thumb: Regardless of how or where you booked your room, if you have ANY special requirements of ANY sort, you need to double check with the hotel directly, to make sure it will be accommodated. In fact, it can't hurt to check twice. I've been told different things on two different days by two different staff members a few times.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expedia and Seaport Hotel problem

Booking for a family of five is not the usual for accommodations in most urban hotels. Cribs, rollaways, and extra folks beyond the usual maximum of four is usually a cost above the actual price of the room. Given the cost of hotels in the Seaport area in Boston, a 50 dollar upgrade is probably a deal. IMHO most families would not complain, but if you have tried NYC with this request, it would probably be much more than a 50 dollar upgrade!

Edited: 23 August 2012, 03:56
8. Re: Expedia and Seaport Hotel problem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 09:45