We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach from Boston

Save Topic
Beach from Boston

Hi! I'm heading to Boston for the Dropkick Murphys concerts next week and one day I'd like to try to go and see the Ocean since I'll be coming to town from the Midwest. Any suggestions using public transport only with limited walking? Thanks!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach from Boston

You could take the blue line to Revere Beach Station.

Save Reply
2. Re: Beach from Boston

Thanks! I did see that in my research but then I started reading reviews about bacteria and stuff?? I just havent been to the ocean in about 7 years and really want to see the water!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,198 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach from Boston

Hull ferry?

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach from Boston

Are you going to the parade? If so, walk along Carson beach in southie. If you have the energy, walk around Castle Island.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,216 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach from Boston

Bacteria issues are a summer time thing and have been improving. Don't worry about it, it's way to cold to swim. Here's information about Boston area beaches, many accessible by public transportation (including Revere and Carson). Scroll to the bottom of the page and you can click on each beach for a description and a photo.

http://tbha.org/programs_beaches.htm

Really, if you aren't going to be in South Boston for the parade, the easiest beach to get to is Revere, at this time of year, dogs are allowed on the beach and I walk mine there regularly. It's not a polluted mess

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach from Boston

The Ferry to Hull is a good idea. If you are just looking to be near the water, Boston has a nice Harbor walk. Go behind the Boston harbor hotel, over the northern ave bridge, behind the Moakley courthouse

Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach from Boston

I second (or is it third) the Revere Beach suggestion. It is a nice beach to walk and probably the easiest to get to with public transportation. Plus it gets bonus points for the food and coffee at Kellys :-)

Save Reply
8. Re: Beach from Boston

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! I think Revere Beach it is.. is it safe to assume thats a relatively safe neighborhood? I'll just be heading from the Revere T stop to the beach..

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach from Boston

Very safe and you should walk to Kelley's for lunch.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,216 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach from Boston

The Hull ferry only runs frequently during commuter hours and not at all on weekends. So for others who read this and might want to go to the beach make sure you are aware the schedule ... mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/…

Yes, the Revere Beach neighborhood is not ritzy but it's not dangerous. From the Revere Beach stop, come up the stairs to the street and turn right. Walk as straight as you can for about 5 minutes and you'll see the ocean.

Here's some photos and history of the beach. The arcades and amusements are long gone .... and some of the "restaurants" such as ice cream stands and pizza places without sit-down areas are closed for the winter ... but you'll get an idea of what the beach looks like.

http://reverebeach.com/

I'm signing off now to take my pup to Revere beach rignt now. ;)

Edited: 11 March 2012, 00:45