We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Hull/Cohasset - ferry or train?

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Hull/Cohasset - ferry or train?

Spending Feb. in Hull area and want to get into Boston 3 or 4 times. Want to take Trolley Tour, visit Museum of Modern Art, see Cambridge/Harvard, walk around downtown etc.

Do have a car but thinking of using ferry from Hull or train from Cohasset area. I can get schedules online but not sure which is best option in terms of location of landing in Boston.

Appreciate any thoughts on this and also whether any tour recommendation that includes Cambridge/Harvard. I have seen most of surrounding towns and areas so not interested in tours that might include those.

1. Re: Day trips from Hull/Cohasset - ferry or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 16:57
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Hull/Cohasset - ferry or train?

Thanks - wondering if parking for either a problem after rush hour? Looking at both schedules ferry seems to work best for using during rush hours so fine for full days there and train seems to have more options offpeak hours so likely best for an afternoon or partial day. Any thoughts re Cambridge-Harvard part? Wondering if car best for that in terms of travelling time using public transit?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Hull/Cohasset - ferry or train?

If you plan on going right to Cambridge, then do the Greenbush line. You can switch to the red line at south station. The Greenbush line is still fairly new and very comfortable and rarely full with people. You will not have a problem parking in the Cohasset station. You do want to take not of the last train leaving Boston.

It is also depends on what side of Hull you are staying. Hull is not large, but the commute from one end to the other can take up to twenty minutes.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Hull/Cohasset - ferry or train?

also while in Hull, check out Cohasett Center and French Memory Bakery.

Drive up and down Jerusalem Road in Cohasett a few times.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Hull/Cohasset - ferry or train?

Thanks - helpful info re lines to take to get to Harvard. Info on MBTA site is fairly easy to follow. Is South Station right downtown ie within walking distance to Trolley Tour, Museum of Modern Art etc? I see ferry from Hull (only a 10 minute drive for me) docks at Long Wharf (North) and wondering how location compares to South Station in terms of walking around downtown?

I have been to area a few times and Jerusalem Road great drive. I will have more time this time to explore area including town of Cohasset and get into Boston.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Hull/Cohasset - ferry or train?

That should have been Cohasset Village. You are welcome

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Hull/Cohasset - ferry or train?

South Station is not far from Rowes Wharf and the financial district. It is about 20 minute walk to faneuil hall. If you want to get to The Public Garden or Boston Common. take the red line to park

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,011 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Hull/Cohasset - ferry or train?

Long Wharf is almost across the street from Quincy Market. It's about a 15 minute walk from there to the South Station for trains and an additional 5 minutes to get to the Bus Terminal.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,011 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Hull/Cohasset - ferry or train?

Most of the trollies start their routes at Long Wharf. The road to the Institute of Contemporary Art (Seaport Boulevard) is located about midway between South Station and Long Wharf.

Edited: 10 January 2011, 22:25
Boston
Level Contributor
6,224 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips from Hull/Cohasset - ferry or train?

Either place you get off is downtown and convenient to subway.