We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Tour for Elderly?

Lafayette
Level Contributor
27 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Best Tour for Elderly?

I am taking my parents to Boston and then points North for leaf peeping "before they die" (their words, not mine).

Does anyone have insight as to the best tour for a couple in their early 80's with limited mobility? I will be with them but getting up and down the greyhound bus steps will be a bit of a trial. Maybe duck tour but have only seen the things, I have never ridden myself as I only go to Boston for conferences and eating!

Any advice on the topic would be gratefully appreciated. They could afford a high end tour option if there is one out there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Tour for Elderly?

I think they would do fine on a all day pass trolley like Old Town. You can sit on the trolley and do the complete, 2 hour loop without ever having to hop back off. And the guides are good and informative. You can also call them up and speak to them about a handicapped accessible trolley if you really feel they won't be able to do a few steps.

http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/

But since they said "before we die" and because "we only live once", how about a helicopter tour of Boston and points beyond?

…greenspun.com/flying/boston-helicopter-tours

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Tour for Elderly?

I think they would enjoy the Duck Tour (I did one last summer for the first time) but would probably enjoy the other tours (the trolley thing Will mentions) as well, although I have no first-hand knowledge of it. The water aspect of the Duck Tour is kind of waste of time, but it's a fun tour nonetheless.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Tour for Elderly?

First thought, like Will, was the Old Town trolley tour loop. I remember this question came up before re: private car tour.. two companies mentioned were BostonYourWay and BostonPrivateTours. I have no idea if either are any good but just throwing it out there as another possibility.

Lafayette
Level Contributor
27 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Tour for Elderly?

Thanks for the feedback! Very useful. I guess I'll skip the Duck tour, I just thought there would be less getting up and down and the stairs would not be as steep as a greyhound bus!

On the basis of all of your feedback I am thinking the 2 hour trolley ride and then pick specific stops and do private car tour the next day. But if the trolley has easy up and down access, that might work, I'll investigate further.

Mom wouldn't go for the helicopter, she isn't good with heights!

Thanks again to everyone!

Boston...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Tour for Elderly?

My suggestion was a private tour -also but if you decide to go that route book it early as it is the busiest time of year here for tour guides. They get booked early and the larger tour operators even import some in to work here.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Tour for Elderly?

You might want to look at ScootAround, Inc. We used it last year in DC when we took my 85+ year old Dad to see some games in the new ballpark there and, also, check out the sights. ScootAround delivered a wheelchair to our hotel in DC (it was there when we checked in) and picked it up at the end of our stay. My Dad didn't use the wheelchair when he was hanging around the hotel, but he did most of the time when we went outside, including places like Arlington Cemetery. The wheelchair folded up easily and we could just store it when we rode the tour busses or we went inside a restaurant. It worked well for us and we would do the exact same thing next time.

http://www.scootaround.com/

7. Re: Best Tour for Elderly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 11:46