We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone remember the hillbilly ranch.

Boston
1 post
Save Topic
Does anyone remember the hillbilly ranch.

Ok so last night at our New Years party I told everyone that when I was in the Navy we use to go to the Hillbilly Lounge in Boston. Year 1967-68. So my friends all started kidding me that it was a gay bar back then and I said it wasnt.....can anyone help me

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone remember the hillbilly ranch.

I remember the Hillbilly Lounge (I think maybe it was called Hillbilly Ranch??) but I never went there. It was not a gay bar. It was one of the few places, maybe the only, in Boston that had country/western music. It was in the same area as number of gay bars. They are probably thinking of Playland or Jaques. The area has been rearranged but the closest intersection to where it was is probably Charles St. South and Stuart St.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone remember the hillbilly ranch.

Was that the one that used to be beside the old bus station? I think I might be too young to remember anything about it besides the distinctive sign, though -- too young to have gotten in trouble there before it was closed, that is.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,674 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone remember the hillbilly ranch.

I was never in it, but I do remember going buy it many times. It stuck out like a sore thumb. I think it had some sort of wooden fence around it that looked really out of place downtown. It wasn't a gay bar. It was a country music place. I don't think there's been another country music place in Boston since the Hillbilly Ranch was torn down. When was it torn down? Early 70's?

4. Re: Does anyone remember the hillbilly ranch.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 12:49