We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge thru to Asheville...

New York City
Level Contributor
151 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Ridge thru to Asheville...

Driving from New York to NC this July. Coming down via The Blue Ridge Parkway. Im looking for info on what to see along the way...cool spots, points of interest, scenic stuff. Our road trip is pretty casual with Asheville being the destination. Also trying to find a place in or near Asheville where we could rent a cabin in the mountains or soomething. Also interested in the surrounding areas , DuPont Forest, etc. Kinda want to have a home base to explore these areas...any help most appreciated..thanks, Sean

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge thru to Asheville...

Well I'm not an Asheville resident, but I worked in Black Mountain for the summer and we spent a lot of time in areas lesser traveled by the tourists. In my opinion, Lake Lure is a "must see." The Lake Lure Inn and spa is wonderful. It IS an old hotel so it will not look ultra modern but it is well kept and the location just across the street from the Lake Lure beach just can't be beat. They serve breakfast on an open air porch by the pool and you are just deep in the heart of the Blue Ridge with a beautiful private blue lake right in front of you. The beach part is open to the public and now features a sandy beach and a few water slides. Your family can also hike up or ride up to Chimney Rock and spend some time in that park...very fun and an amazing view. I have visited multiple times during the summer and fall and it just has never seemed crowded.

Black Mountain is also a sweet little mountain town that in my opinion often gets overlooked. Cute little shops and good restaurants. When I worked in Black Mountain we often visited ASheville for the day but it was never anyplace I wanted to actually stay overnight..I wanted OUT of the city for that night.

If you don't mind a religious overtone, you can try booking a room at the Lifeway conference center "Ridgecrest." Rooms are usually dirt cheap from 50-70 a night but they are clean and the conference center is a great place just to relax on a rocking porch overlooking the mountains. The website is difficult to navigate and makes it look like rooms are only open to missionaries and such but that has never been the case that I know of.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge thru to Asheville...

"via the Blue Ridge Parkway". If you get on Skyline Drive just south of Winchester VA and follow it to the Blue Ridge Parkway and then follow the BRP all the way to Asheville, you will either be in a state of Zen-like calm or ready to kill someone after what will seem like endless days of driving 35-40 mph around one curve then another.

I would either a) drive to Asheville via I-95 to I-81 to I-26, get here in about 11 hours, THEN pick out stretches of the BRP to drive en route to and from Mt. Mitchell, Craggy Gardens, Mt. Pisgah, Graveyard Fields, Sliding Rock, Du Pont State Forest ; or b) pick out a multi-hour stretch to drive on the way down and a different stretch on the way back. Everybody has their favorite stretches between Grayson Highlands in Virginia and Cherokee in North Carolina...I like them all. Depends on what you like, e.g. Blowing Rock is great for (expensive) touristy shops and restaurants, Little Switzerland is great for a enjoying a cold beer or glass of wine while the sun sets over mountains 50 miles away, Graveyard Fields and nearby Black Balsam are great hiking ,etc.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Ridge thru to Asheville...

Mangonboat, you have captured the 'essence' of driving the entire BRP. Great advice!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Ridge thru to Asheville...

I agree. You could pick up the parkway around Roanoke but you wuld be maybe six or seven hours from Asheville. I would suggest picking up the Parkway at Deep Gap on US #421 which is about 30 minutes west of I-77, then follow it to Asheville. I think this is the best stretch of the BRP, including Blowing Rock, which is also a great place to stay or dine, and includes Cone manor and Price Lake. Further down the Village of Linville, Linn Cove Viaduct, Grandfather Mountain and Grandfather Mountain Biosphere, Linville Gorge and finally the craft center in Asheville. That stretch is about 21/2 hours; 2 hr. from Blowing Rock but could take a full day easily.

5. Re: Blue Ridge thru to Asheville...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 22:12