We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which direction?

Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which direction?

I will be in Asheville on July 26th and 27th for a metting @ The Renaissance. This is an overnight stay and hubby and 2 y/o will be traveling/staying with me. The meeting ends @ noon on Friday and we will be moving on. We would like to go to Sliding Rock on Saturday. I am not making reservations for sleeping on Friday night, because we will stop whenever. My question is take the Blue Ridge Parkway or go to hwy 280 and what is the testimated time frame from Asheville to the "Land of Waterfalls"?

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which direction?

The BRP is a much more scenic route and adds only about 20 minutes, at total trip time of 1 hour 10 minutes unless you stop for some sightseeing/ scenic overlooks, so I would take that from Asheville to Sliding Rock then come back through Pisgah Forest on 280.

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which direction?

Second Mangonboat's recommendation. You are this close to the BRP, you should take time to travel it and plan on stopping at overlooks and rest stops along the way. The BRP is very worthy of your time.

Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which direction?

I also agree with ya'll about the BRP always enjoyed it! It's just that I haven't ever been on this particular section of it and wondered about the travel. We will go that route and get out as much as possible.... hoping that the meeting ends earlier and we may make sliding rock both days. Thanks for the help.

4. Re: Which direction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:11