We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best BBQ in Asheville?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
133 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best BBQ in Asheville?

Will be in town one night in sept. and want opinion on best NC barbecue place here. Let's hear it!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
388 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best BBQ in Asheville?

Here in NC our "BBQ" is smoked pork, then chopped. I really like the places that leave the big hunks of 'Brown meat" (the crispy outside pieces). Some add the sauce on it, some leave it for you to add. I like it left off so that I can taste that good smoke flavor that they soooo lovingly worked in, and then a little taste of sauce added later.) Most of the sauce you will find here is vinegar with chili flakes in it (that's Eastern NC style/Lexington east). Some places in the southern sections of the state, you will see the SC version pop up, which adds mustard.

Unfortunately, after 1950, unless you were already pit cooking over wood, usually Hickory, now you must either use electric or gas smokers. You find most of those old school folks in the Eastern part of the state. My favorite so far is WIlburs, in Goldsboro (whole hog pit cooked over Hickory. The Brunswick stew is good too). There are others that are great around that area too. They raise most of the hogs down there too- check out Nahunta Pork Center). Here's a great link also, if you are interested. It also has a great listing of BBQ joints too -

southernbbqtrail.com/southern-bbq-primer.sht…

So, if I haven't talked you into driving to the other side of our awesome state for real BBQ, and you have to eat BBQ (pulled pork) in Asheville, I would head to Luellas simply cause it's a good substitution (it's new, not pit cooked) and they make REALLY GOOD hushpuppies!

FYI - 12 Bones is known for their ribs. Personally I like Luellas' better. They use a St. Louis cut, which stay more moist (more fat on them) when reheating them over the baby back that 12 Bones uses. That's just my preference. My favorite thing at 12 Bones is the smoked turkey sandwich (on griddled Texas toast, peppered bacon, and brie. Tasty!)

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best BBQ in Asheville?

A strong second for 12 Bones. Great Q and variety of sauces if that's your thing. As stated...don't pass up the ribs.

3. Re: Best BBQ in Asheville?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:46