We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

park passes

england
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
park passes

we are planning to do a 3 week road trip from vegas to yellowstone and back and were wondering if it would be a good idea to obtain an annual national park pass as we will be visiting quite a few on route. if there is such a pass, where can we buy one and find any information about it

thanks

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: park passes

Yes, it is a great idea to get the annual pass. It is called the America the Beautiful pass and the cost is $80. This covers everyone in the car, so you only need one pass. You can purchase the pass at the first park that you visit (perhaps Zion since you are staring in Las Vegas). It will be well worth you money to get the pass.

Here's the link to more information:

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Edited: 24 April 2012, 00:19
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,222 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: park passes

Yes it makes sense if your entry fees are going to total up to $80 or more in the various parks you are visiting.Its also good at National Recreation Areas like Glen Canyon(Lake Powell)

www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: park passes

If you go to the website that I linked above, check the FAQ; lots of good information. The pass does cover the ower plus up to 4 adults in a vehicle, just to clarify (per the FAQ).

Also not that this pass is for all parks, monuments and public lands administered byt the Federal Government (so National Park, National Monuments, Nationa Recreation Areas, etc.). This pass does not work for State Parks or the Native American Tribal Parks (like Monument Valley (in case that is part of your plans).

Again, get the pass...best deal on the planet!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: park passes

When we went to Disneyland and Joshua Tree NP this past January, I pointed out to my kids that for the price of *1* of us to go to Disney for *1* day, we got a pass that all 4 of us can use at every national park and more in the country for a year. Very happy to hear my 8yo daughter say, after clambering on the rocks there for a day, that both places were equally fun :-)

Definitely a good deal, even if you end up not totally "breaking even" on it; a trip to Utah like we're doing this summer can easily cover the cost. At least for those of us living in the states, it's an excuse to go on more road trips to take advantage of it...

england
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: park passes

the parks we are hoping to visit are: zion, bryce,capitol,canyon lands, arches, mesa verde, grand teton, yellowstone and death valley. it sounds like the annual pass would be worth it to us. thanks for the great advice.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: park passes

Zion, Bryce Canyon, Yellowstone and Grand Teton are $25 each (I think), so there's $100 total, you are already $20 ahead and still have all the rest of the parks to consider. The park pass will more than pay for itself. Plus it is just handy and seems to make entry a little quicker.

I think Rocky Mountain has an "express lane" at the entrance just for park passes; that would really be an added bonus in terms of reducing the lines at some of the entrance stations.

7. Re: park passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:48